Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build installation problem [gcc conflict in Ubuntu 6.10]

installation problem [gcc conflict in Ubuntu 6.10]

Up to Install & build
  • installation problem [gcc conflict in Ubuntu 6.10]

Posted by Jung Hong at February 22. 2007
    Hello

I spent hard time to figure out how to install salome in my ubuntu 6.10 machine.
    Still it is not solved. Salome installer doesn't recognize my gcc 4.1.2 installed already,
    and just stops.

Thank you for help in advance.

JW
    • Re: installation problem [gcc conflict in Ubuntu 6.10]

Posted by de Reviers at February 22. 2007
      Jung Hong wrote:
      Hello

I spent hard time to figure out how to install salome in my ubuntu 6.10 machine.
      Still it is not solved. Salome installer doesn't recognize my gcc 4.1.2 installed already,
      and just stops.

Thank you for help in advance.

JW

I will certainly appear as a newbie but I do not have any problem with that.

First if you did not, make sure you applied what is said in the post "KERNEL-Src: bad variable name" because it will prevent other troubles than the one you are treating at the moment. On my side I removed dash from edgy eft using apt-get uninstall dash....

Second,
      I experienced same problem as yours and many others and I will share the small settings that I did which are not quite correct on a rigorous standpoint:

- about release of gcc and python, I had many a trouble because some install (not installed) scripts of Salome make arithmetical operations on the release numbers of gcc and python. As far as gcc release contains letter at the end as well as python's release, the scripts have errors that are not quite shown and dealt with. I think the gcc scripts which is the more suited to the gcc release of edgy eft is gcc-4.0.1.sh. Use gcc -v to make sure. Same comment for python. Due to that, in the XML config file, I chose to have the execution of the correct script (gcc-4..0.1.sh).
      But  that is not all:  in gcc-4.0.1.sh and python-2.4.1.sh, I commented the lines where the release number is calculated and added a line saying ver="040102" for example for gcc. This a very bad hack to get rid of the letter end of the release of gcc and python. I think this has to be done also in the common.sh scripts about the gcc release and there is certainly another script which check the release of python because it requires me some libpython2.3.so.0 file that I should not install because I am using python 2.4.1....
      -but that was not enough. I do not know why but there was no recorded results after the env_build.sh script which is executed to register paths of binaries, includes, libs, etc... with many "export $...." instructions. I do not know why but on my system, if I had a echo line at the end of the script to actually see what is in the environment variables created within the script, the values are quite good. This might be related with the bug related here about edgy eft https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bash/+bug/69700. Anyway, I again did a very bad hack by directly write in the /etc/environment file the environment variables that are created during the running of env_built.sh.

I must be honest at the moment, it is not working as I would like therefore I would like to get comments as much as possible from people having really succeeded on a real UBUNTU EDGY_EFT machine.

• Re: installation problem [gcc conflict in Ubuntu 6.10]

Posted by Marco Moscaritolo at March 09. 2007
        I'm installing Salomé into Ubuntu 6.10 from binary pack and it work if I do this:

SALOME_INSTALL_DIR=~/salome

cd ${SALOME_INSTALL_DIR}/boost-1.32.0/lib

ln -s libboost_thread-gcc-mt-1_32.so libboost_thread-gcc-mt-1_31.so.1.31.0
        ln -s libboost_signals-gcc-mt-1_32.so.1.32.0 libboost_signals-gcc-mt-1_31.so.1.31.0

cd /usr/lib

sudo ln -s libgc.so.1.0.2 libg2c.so.0

Where ~/salome is the installation directory.

Bye
        Marco

PS: I'm italian sorry for my bad english