Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Salome 3.6.2, runSalome: "Failed to narrow the root naming context"

Salome 3.6.2, runSalome: "Failed to narrow the root naming context"

Up to Install & build
  • Salome 3.6.2, runSalome: "Failed to narrow the root naming context"

Posted by Martin Grabe at May 31. 2007
    Hi all,

I installed the Salome 3.2.6 binaries with the Debian 3.1 configuration on Ubuntu Feisty (7.04). Everything seemed to have went fine during the installation process, at least no errors were reported.
    After changing the file salome.sh (as described in this thread), I sourced it and then started runSalome. This is what I get:

Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 2811 2812 2813 2814 2815 2816 2817 2818 - OK
    Lancement du Naming Service runNS.sh > /tmp/logs/grumpy/salomeNS.log 2>&1
    Searching Naming Service ++++++++++Failed to narrow the root naming context
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/opt/salome/KERNEL_3.2.6/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 802, in useSalome
        clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)
      File "/opt/salome/KERNEL_3.2.6/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 629, in startSalome
        clt=orbmodule.client()
      File "/opt/salome/KERNEL_3.2.6/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 60, in __init__
        self.initNS()
      File "/opt/salome/KERNEL_3.2.6/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 93, in initNS
        sys.exit(1)
    SystemExit: 1

--- erreur au lancement Salome ---

Then I'm back at my prompt. Can anyone hint on how I could get this "Naming Service" to work properly?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

• Re: Salome 3.6.2, runSalome: "Failed to narrow the root naming context"

Posted by Kwun Ho Ngan at June 05. 2007
      use the omniORB package in 3.2.2. (I use Ubuntu but it might work the same for you).

Posted by Martin Grabe at June 12. 2007
        I just had to edit the /etc/hosts file as you described in this thread. thanks a lot!

Posted by Kwun Ho Ngan at June 13. 2007
          Glad that it works. Maybe this should be added into the installation instruction for future release. I think it is a common problem with using COBRA. I see that as well in OpenFOAM.

Posted by Yarden0424 at September 11. 2008
            Thanks Kwun Ho Ngan!,

There was quite some confusion about why Salome was suddenly not running after not working on the software for some time.
            The problem with the failing to narrow the rootnaming service lead me to your thread and editing the /etc/hosts file solved the problem. 
            Initially it took a looooong time for me to wait for all the +'s before the error message was displayed.

I discovered the identification name of the machine had been changed some time ago without the new name being added to the /etc/hosts file.

Louis

Posted by hpon at July 20. 2009
          Martin Grabe wrote:
          I just had to edit the /etc/hosts file as you described in this thread. thanks a lot!

Hi,

I'm using CAELinux 2008 32-bit, and I'm experiensing the same problem Martin did with his system.  I have edited the /etc/hosts file according to the link in the quote, but the problem remains.

I'm not sure about the exact syntax.  For instance, don't know if the number of tabs is correct, if that even matters.  And the numbers (192.168.1.1 for example), are they valid in general or specific to one's system?

My /etc/hosts file looks like this (name, domain etc. are NOT replaced with actuall names such as hpon-desktop or something else. "t" = tab):

"
          127.0.0.1 "t" localhost

127.0.1.1 "t" name.domain "t" name

192.168.1.1 "t" name.domain name
          "

Is my /etc/hosts file correct?

/hpon