Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Install SALOME-3.2.6 on Debian Lenny (32- & 64-bit)

Install SALOME-3.2.6 on Debian Lenny (32- & 64-bit)

Up to Install & build
  • Install SALOME-3.2.6 on Debian Lenny (32- & 64-bit)

Posted by Ruben Mukhamadeev at January 28. 2008
    I use SALOME-3.2.6 from the June 2007 (on Debian - Etch & Lenny, 32- & 64-bit), and i wanna to share own experience of installation - to get feedback & see your advices how to optimize install & use. So begin :

1.  Installation requires :
        tk, tcltk, tix, gcc, g77, gfortran, doxigen, qt, pyton with lib headers.
        Installation on 64-bit platform requires abilities of 32-bit libraries
        (in  emul/lib directory) : libmng, libgfortran.

2. Installations were perfect in the case of such kind of options  :

gcc                 - native
        qt                  - native 32-bit,      binary - 64-bit
        tcltk               - native 32-bit,      binary - 64-bit
        python           - native 32-bit,      binary - 64-bit
        doxigen          - native 32-bit,     binary - 64-bit
        netgen, xdata - binary - 32-bit,   source - 64-bit
        HXX2SALOME   - binary - 32-bit,   source - 64-bit

msg2gm, Sip, PyQt, boost, Swig, Qwt,OmniORB, hdf, med, Numeric,
        Graphviz, docutils, HXX2SALOMEDOC - source both

OpenCascade, Vtk   - binary both

Best regards & great respects for nice product to all developers
    • Re: Install SALOME-3.2.6 on Debian Lenny (32- & 64-bit)

Posted by Ruben Mukhamadeev at January 28. 2008
      I should to write i use complete installation packs for Mandriva-2006 (32- & 64-bit)

Posted by Adam Powell at February 21. 2008
        Hi, I made a .deb of Salome which works with native Debian packages, it's at: http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/salome/ .  The only problem is that it requires a mix of packages from testing and unstable, e.g. omniORB 4.0.x from testing but netgen 4.4-9 from unstable and hdf5 with OpenMPI which is not yet in Debian.  But you can get the build-deps right there in that directory.

Share and enjoy.

Posted by Hernan Dario Guerrero at March 18. 2008
          Hi people,
          Im installing Salome 3.2.6 in debian 32bits (in chroot mode), but, the next error always is present when install swig package:

DOH/base.c: In function 'DohCall':
          DOH/base.c:858: warning: ISO C forbids conversion of object pointer to function pointer type
          DOH/fio.c: In function 'DohEncoding':
          DOH/fio.c:50: warning: ISO C forbids conversion of function pointer to object pointer type
          DOH/fio.c: In function 'encode':
          DOH/fio.c:63: warning: ISO C forbids conversion of object pointer to function pointer type
          DOH/hash.c: In function 'Hash_str':
          DOH/hash.c:390: warning: overflow in implicit constant conversion
          DOH/list.c: In function 'List_str':
          DOH/list.c:245: warning: overflow in implicit constant conversion
          DOH/memory.c: In function 'DohIntern':
          DOH/memory.c:100: warning: overflow in implicit constant conversion
          Modules/allegrocl.cxx:101: warning: non-local variable ' defined_foreign_types' uses anonymous type
          /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4
          .2.3/libstdc++.so when searching for -lstdc++
          /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libstdc++.a when searching for -lstdc++
          /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libstdc++.so when searching for -lstdc++
          /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.2.3/libstdc++.a when searching for -lstdc++
          /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++
          collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
          make[2]: *** [eswig] Error 1
          make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
          make: *** [source] Error 2

I think that I have all requierements that the program need.
          Can somebody help me, please?
          Hernan

Posted by Dan Popov at April 01. 2008
            Dear all, dear Adam,

I try to install Salome 3.2.6 on Kubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) using the packages from Adam's homepage. Trying to build the salome package
            i get the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSMESHimpl
            make[3]: *** [libNETGENEngine.la] Fehler 1
            make[3]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/data/dan/salome/salome-3.2.6/NETGENPLUGIN_SRC_3.2.6/src/NETGENPlugin'
            + exit 1
            make[2]: *** [install] Fehler 1
            make[2]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/data/dan/salome/salome-3.2.6/NETGENPLUGIN_SRC_3.2.6/src'
            + exit 1
            make[1]: *** [install] Fehler 1
            make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/data/dan/salome/salome-3.2.6/NETGENPLUGIN_SRC_3.2.6'
            make: *** [install] Fehler 2
            dan@blauen:/data/dan/salome/salome-3.2.6$

I've read a discussion in the debian-science list where someone had the same problem. As Adam told there, the library
            SMESHimpl was never built. Unfortunately there is no solution proposed. I am not verey familiar in building debian packages so any help is highly appreciated.

My setup is:
            $uname -a
            Linux blauen 2.6.22-14-386 #1 Tue Feb 12 07:12:19 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

$cat /proc/cpuinfo
            vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
            cpu family      : 6
            model           : 15
            model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz

Further, I used omniorb 4.0.7 together with  python-omniorb2  2.6-3.3 and  installed  the  build-deps from  Adam's  homepage.
            Tanks for any hints.
            Regards, Dan

Posted by Adam Powell at April 02. 2008
              Dan Popov wrote:
              Dear all, dear Adam,

I try to install Salome 3.2.6 on Kubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) using the packages from Adam's homepage. Trying to build the salome package

make[3]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/data/dan/salome/salome-3.2.6/NETGENPLUGIN_SRC_3.2.6/src/NETGENPlugin'
              + exit 1
              make[2]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/data/dan/salome/salome-3.2.6/NETGENPLUGIN_SRC_3.2.6/src'
              + exit 1
              make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/data/dan/salome/salome-3.2.6/NETGENPLUGIN_SRC_3.2.6'

I've read a discussion in the debian-science list where someone had the same problem. As Adam told there, the library
              SMESHimpl was never built. Unfortunately there is no solution proposed. I am not verey familiar in building debian packages so any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks for your interest in the package.  I'm afraid there's a problem with sip in Debian right now, you can read more at: Debian bug 469850 or on the PyQt email list archives.

On the bright side, thanks to help from Thomas Girard, I've made a lot of progress toward porting to omniORB 4.1.x.  Salomé should soon be buildable on Debian unstable!

I'll post to the forum again when this is working.

Posted by Manav Bhatia at April 09. 2008
                Adam Powell wrote:
                Dan Popov wrote:
                Dear all, dear Adam,

+ exit 1
                + exit 1

Thanks for your interest in the package.  I'm afraid there's a problem with sip in Debian right now, you can read more at: Debian bug 469850 or on the PyQt email list archives.

On the bright side, thanks to help from Thomas Girard, I've made a lot of progress toward porting to omniORB 4.1.x.  Salomé should soon be buildable on Debian unstable!

I'll post to the forum again when this is working.

Hi Adam,

I am trying to build salome 3.2.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 beta, and am running into similar problems as you. I got to the sip error and a google search brought me to your post in relation to QPixmap.
                   How far did you get with the build? What version of vtk are you building this with? vtk4 or vtk5? And should the vtk necessarily be QT3 based? or would QT4 do?
                   I am trying to configure and build using the distribution packages of Ubuntu for all the dependencies. Do you have a set of instructions to make changes to the 3.2.6 source to get it to compile with these packages? Any patches?
                   I will appreciate any inputs. Also, I will be happy to help you in the process.

Regards,
                Manav

Posted by Adam Powell at April 10. 2008
                  Hello Manav,

I solved the QPixmap problem just yesterday.  Salomé gets its QT_VERS variable from the Qt3 installation, but SIP does not support all versions of Qt3.  So I needed to switch it from 3.3.8b in Debian (as of March 10) to 3.3.6.  I will upload -7 with this fix sometime tonight or tomorrow to http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/salome/

For VTK, I ported it myself to version 5 (4 is not in Debian and doesn't even build in testing/unstable), but with QT3; it would take a lot of work to port to QT4.

With some help from debian-science, I also ported from omniORB 4.0.x to 4.1.x.

I have 48 patches (yes, 48 patches, some of them quite large) in the debian directory of the source package.  I would very much appreciate feedback and help on this enormous piece of software!

I'm hung up on two things now: a very minor issue in xdata, and a problem with the netgen libraries.  When those are sorted out, I'll upload -7.

Unfortunately, I have had NO HELP FROM UPSTREAM!!  I tried the support.contact@opencascade.com and marketing.contact addresses on this website, they both bounced.  I tried posting a message at http://www.opencascade.com/services and got no reply.  A friend at INRIA even gave me the name and email address of a paid Salomé hacker at OpenCASCADE, and I wrote him twice, no reply.

I don't expect help on fixing this program for unsupported/unreleased platforms.  But I do want someone to send fixes to.  I've put close to 150 hours' work into these patches, and though this was partly because of my weak C++ background, I really don't want to have to spend another two weeks porting them to the next release!!  Any clues anyone can give on getting someone upstream to listen and reply would be very much appreciated!

-Adam

Posted by Manav Bhatia at April 10. 2008
                    Hello Manav, I solved the QPixmap problem just yesterday. Salomé gets its QT_VERS variable from the Qt3 installation, but SIP does not support all versions of Qt3. So I needed to switch it from 3.3.8b in Debian (as of March 10) to 3.3.6. I will upload -7 with this fix sometime tonight or tomorrow to >http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/salome/ For VTK, I ported it myself to version 5 (4 is not in Debian and doesn't even build in testing/unstable), but with QT3; it would take a lot of work to port to QT4. With some help from debian-science, I also ported from omniORB 4.0.x to 4.1.x. I have 48 patches (yes, 48 patches, some of them quite large) in the debian directory of the source package. I would very much appreciate feedback and help on this enormous piece of software! I'm hung up on two things now: a very minor issue in xdata, and a problem with the netgen libraries. When those are sorted out, I'll upload -7. Unfortunately, I have had NO HELP FROM UPSTREAM!! I tried the support.contact@opencascade.com and marketing.contact addresses on this website, they both bounced. I tried posting a message at http://www.opencascade.com/services and got no reply. A friend at INRIA even gave me the name and email address of a paid Salomé hacker at OpenCASCADE, and I wrote him twice, no reply. I don't expect help on fixing this program for unsupported/unreleased platforms. But I do want someone to send fixes to. I've put close to 150 hours' work into these patches, and though this was partly because of my weak C++ background, I really don't want to have to spend another two weeks porting them to the next release!! Any clues anyone can give on getting someone upstream to listen and reply would be very much appreciated! -Adam Hi Adam, Thanks for your reply. I greatly appreciate the amount of time you have put into this software, and I am sure a lot others would too. I can understand that the work you do must use this code extensively. I do not have as much experience dealing with the "upstream" folks here, but I have had mixed levels of response from them. Some of my questions have been very promptly answered, but they were primarily in the area of "Code Use". My other questions outside of this (development, extension, etc.), for example, on whether Salome 3.2.9 is/will be available for general download went unattended. (www.caelinux.com now has a binary 3.2.9 Salome for download, so I am curious if the this website is planning on having it up sometime soon). However, I have connected with some very nice people who have helped me with some technical aspects. I think that this is a beautiful piece of code, and that being able to make it into a deb package for easy download-and-install will save a lot of us from a lot of trouble. However, I will still have to grill myself and compile it on a esoteric machine: an SGI using an ITANIUM processor.... :) (so, a deb probably will not help). However, I have two other platforms to use this code on: an Ubuntu on x86, and a Mac OS X Intel. The latter probably will be more difficult to compile on, than the SGI. I will be more than happy to test your patches on my Ubuntu machine. And I will willingly contribute in any way possible. I have an above average C++ background, but I have no experience with some of the components used by salome, particularly QT, VTK and ORB. I will be traveling for the next couple of days, and will be able to get back to this over the weekend. Regards, Manav

Posted by Erwan ADAM at April 10. 2008

Hi Manav and Adam,

For the lack of answers of the salome team (I'm a member of it),
                      some precisions.

Salome is extensively used by some of the contributors
                      (CEA, EDF, OpenCascade, ...) and we have a lot of job to
                      answer the problems and bugs found by the users in those
                      entities. Of course, we have a bug tracker (which is,
                      unfortunately not public for the moment) and, as you can
                      imagine, we have a lot of bugs and request for implementations ...

So we try to answer the forum when we can, but you're
                      absolutely right, sometimes, there is no answer and it
                      must be very frustrating ... We apologize for that.

Manav, you are right, there is a 3.2.9 version which solve
                      a lot of the problems, in particuliar of compilation, of
                      the 3.2.6 version. The 3.2.9 version is still with
                      omniORB4.0, vtk4 and qt3. I will ask the concerned
                      persons when this version is available on website.

The current developement version is on omniORB4.1,
                      vtk5 and qt3 and there is a branch which is on qt4 ...
                      We really have to update the roadmap published on the
                      website to inform you about all this points.

Many thanks to use salome, many thanks for your patches
                      and contributions !

Best regards,

E.A.

Posted by Adam Powell at April 10. 2008
                        Hello Adam (or is your first name Erwan?),

Thank you for your post, this provides a lot of good information.  I am sorry about the tone of my rant above, I understand that you are very busy.

Is there any way to get access to the new development version?  If not, then I will try to port my omniORB 4.1 and VTK5 patches to 3.2.9 when it is released.  Also, can I send patches to your email address in order to request review for possible inclusion in the official version?

My goal is to get OpenCASCADE and Salomé (maybe even Code_Aster) into Debian Lenny, and thus into Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex.  I believe the deadline for this is the end of April, but Debian deadlines sometimes slip a bit.  For now, I need to focus on a copyright audit and new package structure for OpenCASCADE...

I am glad that many compilation problems have been resolved in the 3.2.9 release, and look forward to packaging it.

Regards,
                        Adam

Posted by Adam Powell at April 15. 2008
                          Salomé 3.2.6-7 builds in Debian unstable!  The .deb and source packages are uploading to the usual place: http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/salome/ .  And it's down to 2 lintian errors.  That's the good news.

Now the bad: it doesn't run.  It can't find any modules.

Not to worry, I've fixed such problems before.  But I think I'll wait for the 3.2.9 source release before putting any more time into this.

Technical detail: using the QT_VERS variable to set the SIP -t parameter is wrong.  The -t parameter refers to the Qt API version, which right now is 3.3.6 because that was the last API change (even though Qt is a couple of versions past that now).  My patch doesn't quite get this right just yet, but my first 3.2.9 package will.

Posted by Michele Vasquez at May 09. 2008
                            Hello! I'm trying to install Salome using Adam deb packages. The package "salome_3.2.6-7_amd64.deb" requires as dependencies libopencascade.

Where can I find libopencascade for Debian amd64?

Thank you for your attention,

Michele

Posted by Adam Powell at May 12. 2008
                              Michele Vasquez wrote:
                              Hello! I'm trying to install Salome using Adam deb packages. The package "salome_3.2.6-7_amd64.deb" requires as dependencies libopencascade.

Where can I find libopencascade for Debian amd64?

Thank you for your attention,

Michele

Sorry, that's at: http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/opencascade/

The Salomé package builds now, but doesn't run correctly.  I will fix it as soon as I have some time, likely by the end of the week.

Posted by konstantin golubev at June 28. 2008
                                Hello! I Tryed to install Salome 3.2.6-7 From your debs. first  python-salome package gave me strange dependency error

Sorry, part of my message- disappeared

Sorry!!! I can't even send a post... python-salome wont install because python(<2.5) dependency. werry strange because I have python-2.5.2 installed. I force installed python-salome package, but now I can't start salome. Here's konsole output: Configure parser: Warning : could not find user configuration file Configure parser: Warning : could not find user configuration file Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 - OK Lancement du Naming Service runNS.sh > /tmp/logs/kostia/salomeNS.log 2>&1 Searching Naming Service ++++++++++Failed to narrow the root naming context Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/salome/runSalome.py", line 802, in useSalome clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir) File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/salome/runSalome.py", line 629, in startSalome clt=orbmodule.client() File "/usr/share/pyshared/salome/orbmodule.py", line 60, in __init__ self.initNS() File "/usr/share/pyshared/salome/orbmodule.py", line 93, in initNS sys.exit(1) SystemExit: 1 --- erreur au lancement Salome --- Please help me with this,

Posted by Adam Powell at June 29. 2008
                                      Hello Konstantin,

Please forgive me.  I have stopped developing the Debian package for Salomé, which is broken on current Debian unstable and testing.  There are two problems with the package: (1) it needs to use "current" python instead of 2.4, which isn't hard; (2) when it starts, it can't find any modules, a problem I have solved before and am confident I could solve again with a bit of time.

Right now, Salomé is in a state of limbo because they released a binary distribution of version 3.2.9 with CAELinux 2008.1, but have not released any source code.  I don't want to spend my time working on a package for a version which is already obsolete.  When the new source code comes, I will work on the package again.

-Adam

Posted by Manav Bhatia at April 13. 2008
                        ADAM Erwan wrote:

Hi Manav and Adam,

For the lack of answers of the salome team (I'm a member of it),
                        some precisions.

Salome is extensively used by some of the contributors
                        (CEA, EDF, OpenCascade, ...) and we have a lot of job to
                        answer the problems and bugs found by the users in those
                        entities. Of course, we have a bug tracker (which is,
                        unfortunately not public for the moment) and, as you can
                        imagine, we have a lot of bugs and request for implementations ...

So we try to answer the forum when we can, but you're
                        absolutely right, sometimes, there is no answer and it
                        must be very frustrating ... We apologize for that.

Manav, you are right, there is a 3.2.9 version which solve
                        a lot of the problems, in particuliar of compilation, of
                        the 3.2.6 version. The 3.2.9 version is still with
                        omniORB4.0, vtk4 and qt3. I will ask the concerned
                        persons when this version is available on website.

The current developement version is on omniORB4.1,
                        vtk5 and qt3 and there is a branch which is on qt4 ...
                        We really have to update the roadmap published on the
                        website to inform you about all this points.

Many thanks to use salome, many thanks for your patches
                        and contributions !

Best regards,

E.A.

Thanks for your email Adam Erwan, I have been traveling, hence could not write to you earlier. This is a beautiful piece of code, and I applaud your entire team for developing and maintaining Salome and the related suite of software. I would greatly appreciate if you could help me with some information about the 3.2.9 release (particularly if it is possible to gain access to the source-code). If it eases the compilation effort on the developer's side, I think it is of great value. In the meantime, I will try to work with Adam Powell's patches, and post my experience with it on this thread. Regards, Manav