Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Building xdata-0.5.49

Building xdata-0.5.49

Up to Install & build
  • Building xdata-0.5.49

Posted by Dan Popov at February 08. 2008
    Hello,

I am trying to build the xdata-Module. Trying to execute "./build_configure" in the directory: ${INSTALL_ROOT}/xdata-0.5.49/share/xdata/salome I get this error-messages in
    build-configure.log:

configure.in:11: not enough arguments for AC_CONFIG_FILES
    automake: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output

I am using salome_3.2.6 with an Kubuntu linux 7.10 (gutsy) and the versions of my autotools are:

aclocal (GNU automake) 1.9.6
    Autoconf version 2.13
    automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6

Possibly I do need some other versions of the autotools?  I tried with automake1.4 but didn't succeed either.
    I am not so familiar with build processes so any help would be appreciated. I just wanted to
    have a look at the TECHOBJ-template which is shipped with xdata. In order to try it one has to install
    xdata properly.

Thx & best regards
    Dan

• Re: Building xdata-0.5.49

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at February 11. 2008
      Hello Dan,

You need the following versions of GNU auto-tools:
      - autoconf 2.59
      - automake 1.9
      - libtool 1.5.6

Regards,
      Vadim.

Posted by Erwan ADAM at February 11. 2008
        Ooouups,

I did not see you sent this message via the forum ...
        Well, I try to sum up our discussion in  a next mail.

Regards,

E.A.

Posted by Erwan ADAM at February 11. 2008
          After discussions with Dan, it seems that the
          problem comes from here :

dan@blauen:~/sim/CAE/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_TEST/TECHOBJ_BUILD$ ../TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure
          + ../TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure
          XDATADIR: `python -c "import xdata ; print xdata.getInstallationDirectory() ; "`
          ../TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure: 25: source: not found

Could you try to replace :

XDATADIR='`python -c "'$pycmd'"`'
          echo "XDATADIR: $XDATADIR"
          source `python -c "$pycmd"`/share/xdata/salome/build_configure

by

XDATADIR=`python -c "$pycmd"`
          echo "XDATADIR: $XDATADIR"
          source ${XDATADIR}/share/xdata/salome/build_configure

in TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure

Regards,

E.A.

Posted by Dan Popov at February 11. 2008
            Dear Erwan,

thank you very much -- the modified script code did it!
            There were two crucial points during the build process:

1) the error: "source not found" was caused by an #! /bin/sh in the script.
            Interestingly the link /bin/sh seems to point to a "dash" in (K)Ubuntu.
            And "source" is a bash specific command. So, replacing the line with #! /bin/bash
            helped.

2) the major error (with AC_CONFIG_FILE..., as stated above) -- that was fixed by
            your suggestion I tried it with your latest version of xdata (0.53.3), with salome_3.2.6
            and with the following versions of the autotools:

autoconf 2.13
            automake 1.9.6
            libtool 1.5.24

So, Vadim (thank you for your help, too), it seems to work with autoconf also.
            Thank you both a lot,

best regards Dan

Posted by Dan Popov at February 12. 2008
              Dear Erwan and Vadim,

I compiled xdata-0.5.49 from source today without problems. I used automake 1.9.6 and an autoconf version 2.61 which is newer than that one I used yesterday (2.13). Then I tried to build the TECH_OBJ template which succeeded as well -- after changing /bin/sh --> /bin/dash to /bin/sh --> /bin/bash. If this symlink points to the dash then the error "source ... not found" is reproducable.
              I wasn't aware Kubuntu points /bin/sh to another shell then the bash (probably the bash is not POSIX-conform or what might
              be the reason for this?).

The error with AC_CONFIG ... was not reproducable -- I do not know where it came from. In any case I am happy with xdata
              0.5.59 and say sorry for the noise.

Best regards, Dan

Posted by Erwan ADAM at February 18. 2008
                Dan Popov wrote:
                Dear Erwan and Vadim,

I compiled xdata-0.5.49 from source today without problems. I used automake 1.9.6 and an autoconf version 2.61 which is newer than that one I used yesterday (2.13). Then I tried to build the TECH_OBJ template which succeeded as well -- after changing /bin/sh --> /bin/dash to /bin/sh --> /bin/bash. If this symlink points to the dash then the error "source ... not found" is reproducable.
                I wasn't aware Kubuntu points /bin/sh to another shell then the bash (probably the bash is not POSIX-conform or what might
                be the reason for this?).

The error with AC_CONFIG ... was not reproducable -- I do not know where it came from. In any case I am happy with xdata
                0.5.59 and say sorry for the noise.

Best regards, Dan

Hello Dan,

Could you try to compile the TECHOBJ template with the previous
                link to /bin/dash but replacing "source" by "." in the TECHOBJ
                build_configure

Regards,

E.A.

Posted by Dan Popov at February 26. 2008
                  Hello Erwan,

sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your new message in this post.
                  I tried to build xdata-0.5.49 (not xdata-0.5.53, tell me if I should try it as well)
                  with the dash and changed "sources" to "." in the build_configure script.

--->First, I give the output when /bin/sh points to /bin/bash:

dan@blauen:~/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_BUILD$ ../TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure
                  XDATADIR: `python -c "import xdata ; print xdata.getInstallationDirectory() ; "`
                  Goto: ../TECHOBJ_ROOT
                  Pwd: /home/dan/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_ROOT
                  ln -sf `python -c "import xdata ; print xdata.getInstallationDirectory() ; "`/share/xdata/salome xdata2salome
                  Version: 0.5.49
                  aclocal -I xdata2salome ...                       [  OK  ]
                  autoconf ...                                             [  OK  ]
                  automake --add-missing --copy ...             [  OK  ]

--->Now,  I point /bin/sh to /bin/dash (but "source" is not yet replaced by ".";):

dan@blauen:~/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_BUILD$ ls -l /bin/sh
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-02-12 17:05 /bin/sh -> /bin/bash
                  dan@blauen:~/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_BUILD$ sudo rm /bin/sh
                  dan@blauen:~/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_BUILD$ sudo ln -s /bin/dash /bin/sh
                  ../TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure: 25: source: not found

---> now replace "source" by "." . This results in the following error message:

dan@blauen:~/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_BUILD$ vim ../TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure
                  Goto: ../TECHOBJ_ROOT
                  Pwd: /home/dan/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_ROOT
                  ln -sf `python -c "import xdata ; print xdata.getInstallationDirectory() ; "`/share/xdata/salome xdata2salome
                  /home/dan/salome_3.2.6/xdata-0.5.49/share/xdata/salome/build_configure: 1: Syntax error: Bad substitution
                  dan@blauen:~/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_BUILD$
                  dan@blauen:~/salome_3.2.6/TECHOBJ_BUILD$ head -4 ../TECHOBJ_ROOT/build_configure
                  #!/bin/sh
                  # --
                  # Copyright (C) CEA, EDF
                  # Author : Erwan ADAM (CEA)

---> I used following versions of autotools:

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
                  automake (GNU automake) 1.9.6
                  ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.24 Debian 1.5.24-1ubuntu1 (1.1220.2.456 2007/06/24 02:25:32)

So, if I shall try it with xdata-0.5.53 as well just tell me.

Best regards, Dan