Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build SALOME and GUI mode

SALOME and GUI mode

Up to Install & build
  • SALOME and GUI mode

Posted by jrz at August 08. 2008
    Hi,
    I've Ubuntu 8.04 and I don't have any problem with installation of SALOME-MECA-2008. But if I want to start this program, I can't start it at GUI mode, to be told: the program is initializing, but nothing happend.
    So I have some questions:
    Have SALOME GUI mode or it only works in console?
    How can I start SALOME in GUI mode?
    What I do wrong?
    Thaks for answer and sorry for my written english.
    • Re: SALOME and GUI mode

Posted by JMB at August 08. 2008
      Jiri Kupka wrote:
      Hi,
      I've Ubuntu 8.04 and I don't have any problem with installation of SALOME-MECA-2008. But if I want to start this program, I can't start it at GUI mode, to be told: the program is initializing, but nothing happend.
      So I have some questions:
      Have SALOME GUI mode or it only works in console?
      How can I start SALOME in GUI mode?
      What I do wrong?
      Thaks for answer and sorry for my written english.

Hello,

Salome should work in GUI mode!  Type this is a terminal :

/opt/SALOME-MECA-2008.1-GPL/runSalomeMeca

(assuming your Salome is installed in /opt/... etc) and report what error messages are shown.  Perhaps I may be able to help thereafter.

Regards,
      JMB

Hi,
        thaks. But there are no (I think) errors. It seems that are runnig but nothing happens. I will keep my trying, if I will know more, send some information.

jrz

Jiri Kupka wrote:
          Hi,
          thaks. But there are no (I think) errors. It seems that are runnig but nothing happens. I will keep my trying, if I will know more, send some information.

jrz

In a terminal type:

ps -ef | grep SALOME

This will list the Salome processes that are running.  If you see many processes running then try killing all the Salome processes and try again (or reboot your PC and try again).  Sometimes "killall Salome" or killall SALOME" may also work rather than manually killing each process id.

Regards,
          JMB

Hi there,
            after some curious steps I did it. But I used version from http://caelinux.com/ (SALOME 3.2.9) not from http://www.salome-platform.org/ (SALOME 3.2.6)...that's not any problem in it.
            But that's the thing: in main window (viewer) I can't see anything, rather some flashback. I thnik that's the problem of my grafics card..I use ATI Radeon 9600. Do you think that's the problem?
            Thanks jrz

Hi,
              next problem. When I exit SALOME I never start it again. I was tried reinstall but with no answer. I'm desperate.
              jrz

Jiri Kupka wrote:
              Hi there,
              after some curious steps I did it. But I used version from http://caelinux.com/ (SALOME 3.2.9) not from http://www.salome-platform.org/ (SALOME 3.2.6)...that's not any problem in it.
              But that's the thing: in main window (viewer) I can't see anything, rather some flashback. I thnik that's the problem of my grafics card..I use ATI Radeon 9600. Do you think that's the problem?
              Thanks jrz

Hi,

Salome (any version) requires OpenGL graphics drivers to be present on your computer.  Perhaps you need to install video drivers for your ATI Radeon 9600 card?

Regards,
              JMB

Posted by jrz at August 09. 2008
                Hi,
                perhaps I can try it on the other PC with NVIDIA graphic card and I'll write you if does work.
                Thanks jrz