Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build running Salome in 64 bits processor

running Salome in 64 bits processor

Up to Install & build
  • running Salome in 64 bits processor

Posted by Isabel at March 02. 2006
    Hi to everybody!

I have a Debian distribution and an AMD64 bits processor.
    I have downloaded the Salome2.2.8 version and I have installed it in a 32 bits machine (with the Installation Wizard: runInstall -g), then I connect to it through remote access (using ssh comand)  but in my  screen the editor flickers and it is really disturbing.
    My question is whether there is possible to download Salome, install it (through wizard) and run it in a 64bits platform, would you give me any advice?

Thank-you very much and regards!
    Isa

• Re: running Salome in 64 bits processor

Posted by Bonaccorsi at March 02. 2006
      Isabel wrote:
      Hi to everybody!

I have a Debian distribution and an AMD64 bits processor.
      I have downloaded the Salome2.2.8 version and I have installed it in a 32 bits machine (with the Installation Wizard: runInstall -g), then I connect to it through remote access (using ssh comand)  but in my  screen the editor flickers and it is really disturbing.
      My question is whether there is possible to download Salome, install it (through wizard) and run it in a 64bits platform, would you give me any advice?

Thank-you very much and regards!
      Isa

Hi,

I have a 64bits processor and i run SALOME on it. In the installation Wizard, I installed all binaries which are in the complete version that you can download. I don't use any native soft.

Cordially,

Thomas Bonaccorsi

Posted by Jörg Zastrau at April 15. 2006
        Hi, there have been serveral reports using the REDHAT8.0 config file to install Salome on debian or ubuntu, even on 64Bit Systems. I tried them all - and none worked for me on an almost plain debian/sarge AMD64 computer. Here is roughly what I did to get it working: First of all the current debian way is to install 32Bit binaries in a chroot environment. This is fine with me. Just follow the instructions in "The Debian GNU/Linux AMD64 HOW-TO" (google for it, section Using an IA32 chroot...). Make sure that ld.so.conf is setup correctly and your home dirctory is available in the chroot. Now get Salome 2.2.8 (CD version) and make it available in the chroot-jail. I've make a CD, so the command "mount -o bind /media/cdrom /var/chroot/sarge-i386/media" did the trick for me. chroot into the jail on a terminal allowing to open X-windows (I used kde's "root terminal"). Now we want to use some native programs with "apt-get install" g++-3.4 (+libs) g77-3.4 (+libs) gcc-3.4 (+libs) gcc-3.4-base libpng3 libqwt4 libqt3c102-mt net-tools swig tcl8.4 (the list is not complete - but this was the stuff that was missing on my install). I removed gcc-3.3 and made a symlinks for g77, gcc to /usr/bin/g77-3.4, /usr/bin/gcc-3.4 in /usr/local/bin. Now launch the Installer with "/media/runInstall -f /media/config_Mandrake_10.1.xml". After choosing the target directory click on "more". Now select gcc -> native tcltk -> native python -> native qt -> not install sip -> binaries pyqt -> binaries boost -> sources opencascade -> binaries opencascade-patch -> source qwt -> native ... (the rest all binaries) the install should run flawless. If not, check the version numbers of you installed packages with "dpkg -l" or install the supplied binary versions if it doesn't work. You don't have to fiddle with libssl or libcrypto! Now I created a little startskript in /usr/local/bin/salome (chmod 755): ---- #!/bin/bash source /usr/local/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/salome.sh runSalome ---- Back in the 64Bit-world I use this script to start 32Bit Applications in /usr/local/bin/do_i386: ---- #!/bin/sh ARGS="" for i in "$@" ; do ARGS="$ARGS '$i'" done exec dchroot -c i386 -d -q "`basename $0`" "$ARGS" ----- Just do a symlink in /usr/local/bin e.g. "ln -s ./do_i386 ./salome" with this script present and you should be able to run salome from within the 32Bit world. The result for me was a running Salome application except for some weird reason the PYCALCULATOR module couldn't be found. Now - this worked for me once - I don't want to do this again so please fiddle with your setup if it doesn't work in the first place. The trick was to use a chroot and then do a reasonable matching between a config file for salome and what is available in debian/sarge (using the Mandrake setup). Joerg

Posted by Jörg Zastrau at April 15. 2006
          I forgot to mention "apt-get install swig". I couldn't install this one from the provided sources. sincerely, Joerg