Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Installing Salome-2.2.8 on Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy

Installing Salome-2.2.8 on Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy

Up to Install & build
  • Installing Salome-2.2.8 on Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy

Posted by JMB at March 28. 2006
    Hello,

I have successfully compiled Code_Aster 2.8.2  from full sources on an Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy" PC but have not tested it fully yet.  "/opt/aster/ASTK/ASTK_SERV/bin/as_run forma01a.export" seems to run fine on it.  That is all I have tested.

Now, I am trying to install Salome in the same Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy.  I seem to be running into wierd problems.  Has anyone successfully managed to do so? If so, could you please post the steps (or lessons learnt) here.  I was informed by Joel CUGNONI that there are compatibilty problems between the two because of the differing versions of HDF & MED libraries in code_aster versus salome.  Which I hope to overcome.

Thanks
    JMB

• Re: Installing Salome-2.2.8 on Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy

Posted by JMB at April 06. 2006
      JMB wrote:
      Hello,

I have successfully compiled Code_Aster 2.8.2  from full sources on an Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy" PC but have not tested it fully yet.  "/opt/aster/ASTK/ASTK_SERV/bin/as_run forma01a.export" seems to run fine on it.  That is all I have tested.

Now, I am trying to install Salome in the same Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy.  I seem to be running into wierd problems.  Has anyone successfully managed to do so? If so, could you please post the steps (or lessons learnt) here.  I was informed by Joel CUGNONI that there are compatibilty problems between the two because of the differing versions of HDF & MED libraries in code_aster versus salome.  Which I hope to overcome.

Thanks
      JMB

I have managed to get further in the installation process of Salome 2.2.8 in Ubuntu "Breezy", but upon starting Salome I get some errors. 

A) The first one is:

"SALOME_Session_Server: error while loading shared libraries: libdps.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service +Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/local/bin/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 670, in useSalome
          clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)
        File "/usr/local/bin/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 585, in startSalome
          session=clt.waitNSPID("/Kernel/Session",mySessionServ.PID,SALOME.Session)
        File "/usr/local/bin/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 153, in waitNSPID
          raise "Impossible de trouver %s" % theName
      Impossible de trouver /Kernel/Session"

B) The next recurring one is:

"th. 3038632880 - Trace /vsr/salome_2.2.8/KERNEL_SRC_2.2.8/src/NamingService/SALOME_NamingService.cxx [337] : Resolve() : Registry (object) not found"
      (which keeps repeating itself)

And the Salome "splash" popup window shows progress upto "Loading Salome_Registry_Server" and does NOT progress any further. 

Does anybody have any clues about the problem?

Thanks
      JMB

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at April 06. 2006
        Hi

You can try to install libdps1 by apt-get:
        sudo apt-get install libdps1

Unfortunately, this package seems to be available for Hoary (5.04) only...

Christophe

Posted by JMB at April 06. 2006
          Christophe Bourcier wrote:
          Hi

You can try to install libdps1 by apt-get:
          sudo apt-get install libdps1

Unfortunately, this package seems to be available for Hoary (5.04) only...

Christophe

Thank you for your suggestion! Solome-2.2.8 is running on Ubuntu Breezy!

Finally I did it with some help from good folks like you & those at Code-Aster forums.  Here are the steps to installing Salome-2.2.8:

# cd /tmp
          Download salome-2.2.8.tar.gz to /tmp from their website using any browser

# gunzip -cd /home/LinuxDownLoads/FEA/salome/salome-2.2.8.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
          # cd SALOME-2.2.8/

# ssh -X root@localhost       
          (Do this if you are just a normal user, "su - " will NOT work since it cannot use display:0)

# ./runInstall -g
          (Install in /usr/local/bin/salome, using the GUI interface,
          and configure it to use all binaries, wherever possible)
           - Launch the installation procedure.
           - In the second page "install settings" click on the button "more"
           - In the new page select "install binaries" for each product, each time it's possible.
           - click on "next" and continue the installation

After the installation is finished the salome.sh script needs to be modified.
          # cd /usr/local/bin/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8
          # cp salome.sh salome.sh.orig
          # gedit salome.sh &
          (In the KERNEL_2.2.8 directory there is a file called salome.sh that sets up the enviroment variables, where, the second source line has to be changed as follows:)

out_var='echo $1 $2 |  awk -W sprintf=5060 -v dir=$3 '{       \
          or if you get error: "awk: option `-W sprintf=5060' unrecognized, ignored" change awk to mawk, when you run "source salome.sh" change it such:
            out_var='echo $1 $2 |  mawk -W sprintf=5060 -v dir=$3 '{      \

Then you can do (in the KERNEL_2.2.8 directory)
          # source salome.sh

Some lib errors can fixed by:
          # ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 /usr/lib/libssl.so.2
          # ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.7 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.2
          Error: Does not find libdps.so.1,
          The fix is to get Hoary's libdps1 package, since a Breezy pacakge is not available
          # cd /tmp
          # wget -nd http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xorg/libdps1_6.8.2-10.1_i386.deb
          # sudo dpkg -i libdps1_6.8.2-10.1_i386.deb

And Run Salome by:
          # /usr/local/bin/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/runSalome &

I have tried this process on two different PCs running "Breezy" and it works.  I have not tested all the functions of this setup, but hope to in the near future.  Will keep you all posted.

Enjoy!
          JMB

Posted by Atzaru at April 08. 2006
            I followed your steps and now i have the following message:

Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 - Ok
            Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "", line 1, in ?
            AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ORB_ID'
              File "/cfd/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 4, in ?
                import orbmodule
              File "/cfd/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 3, in ?
                from omniORB import CORBA
            ImportError: No module named omniORB

Do you know what it can be?

Thanks a lot

Atzaru

Posted by Atzaru at April 08. 2006
              Sorry

ir runs,

one should follow exactly the steps suggested including ALL steps.

Thanks a lot

Atzaru

Posted by Jan Hartwig at April 17. 2006
                hi all...

after installing and configureing the same way like above (with (k)ubuntu breezy), salome works. but after rebooting the system, there will be this message. whats the problem?

*name*:~$ /usr/local/bin/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/runSalome &
                Searching for a free port for naming service: [1] 8869
                *name*:~$ 2810 - Ok
                  File "", line 1, in ?
                python: can't open file '/bin/salome/runSalome.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

thx,
                millstone

Posted by Jan Hartwig at April 17. 2006
                hi all...

after installing and configureing the same way like above (with (k)ubuntu breezy), salome works. but after rebooting the system, there will be this message. whats the problem?

*name*:~$ /usr/local/bin/salome/KERNEL_2.2.8/bin/salome/runSalome &
                Searching for a free port for naming service: [1] 8869
                *name*:~$ 2810 - Ok
                  File "", line 1, in ?
                python: can't open file '/bin/salome/runSalome.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

thx,
                millstone

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at April 18. 2006
                  Hi

It seems that the environment variable KERNEL_ROOT_DIR is not defined.

Did you source salome.sh (in the directory KERNEL_2.2.8)?

Christophe