Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Compiling salome on Gentoo

Compiling salome on Gentoo

Up to Install & build
  • Compiling salome on Gentoo

Posted by Etienne Lorriaux at April 13. 2006
    Hello,

i've just got KERNEL and GEOM modules working after recompiling them on my Gentoo x86. I had several problems to get it working and i hope it will help other gentoo users (including me since i still have problems and i have to compile others modules).

First, here are the packages that i've installed using Gentoo/Portage :

[ebuild   R   ] app-doc/doxygen-1.4.4 USE="qt tetex -doc -unicode" 2,787 kB  [ebuild   R   ] media-gfx/graphviz-2.2.1-r1  USE="X cairo -dynagraph -tcltk" 4,268 kB  [ebuild   R   ] sci-libs/hdf5-1.6.2 USE="ssl -static -zlib" 3,788 kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/boost-1.33.1 USE="-bcp -bjam -debug -doc -pyste -static -threads -threadsonly" 11,237 kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/swig-1.3.21 USE="X java -doc -guile -perl -php -python -ruby -tcltk" 1,975 kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/PyQt-3.14.1-r1  USE="-debug -doc -examples" 763kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/sip-4.2.1 USE="-debug -doc" 305 kB  [ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/qwt-4.2.0 USE="-doc" 950 kB  [ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r8 USE="cups gif opengl -debug -doc -examples -firebird -immqt -immqt-bc -ipv6 -mysql -nas -odbc -postgres -sqlite -xinerama" 14,101 kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.4.2 USE="X berkdb ncurses readline ssl tcltk -bootstrap -build -doc -gdbm -ipv6 -nocxx -ucs2" 7,676 kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/tk-8.4.9 USE="-threads" 3,189 kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/tcl-8.4.9 USE="-threads" 3,414 kB  [ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6 USE="fortran nls -bootstrap -boundschecking -build -doc -gcj -gtk -hardened -ip28 -multislot -nocxx -nopie -nossp -objc -vanilla" 27,692 kB  [ebuild   R   ] dev-python/omniorbpy-2.3  USE="ssl" 633 kB  [ebuild   R   ] sci-libs/vtk-4.2.6  USE="java python -doc -examples -mpi -patented -tcltk -threads" 5,931 kB  [ebuild   R   ] net-misc/omniORB-4.0.3 USE="ssl" 2,663 kB
    Note that omniORB and omniORBpy are not the latest stable cversion in portage since it didn't work with the latest.
    I have installed locally med-fichier-2.2.3 and OpenCASCADE-6.1

The main problems i had to work around are :

- missing headers in some directories of salome sources : just search in other directories, you'll find the header and copy it.
    - missing headers in OpenCASCADE-6.1 that i've copied from OpenCASCADE-5.2

Then the KERNEL module should compile fine. I have many other problems concerning the others modules since the configure script does not work properly, even defining the right environment variables. The script does not take into account my installation of VTK for the GEOM module, and for the MED module, there is also a problem with med2. The only solution i've found for the GEOM module is to correct the variables concerning VTK in makefiles.

@+
    • Re: Compiling salome on Gentoo

Posted by Arthur Magill at August 24. 2006
      I don't see any formatting in the above list, so I've reshaped and taken out the USE flags. It's a useful list, thanks for posting ;)

app-doc/doxygen-1.4.4
      media-gfx/graphviz-2.2.1-r1
      sci-libs/hdf5-1.6.2
      dev-libs/boost-1.33.1
      dev-lang/swig-1.3.21
      dev-python/PyQt-3.14.1-r1
      dev-python/sip-4.2.1
      x11-libs/qwt-4.2.0
      x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r8
      dev-lang/python-2.4.2
      dev-lang/tk-8.4.9
      dev-lang/tcl-8.4.9
      sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6
      dev-python/omniorbpy-2.3
      sci-libs/vtk-4.2.6
      net-misc/omniORB-4.0.3

Posted by Bastian Loeffler at August 27. 2006
        I am tying to compile the salmone Kernel with gentoo. I had to set the threads useflag to make boost install all needed libraries.

Now I have a problem running make install. Seems the enviromen tis not configured properly, but I can not find the template script mentioned in the documentation. I get:

omniidl: Could not import back-end 'pythonbe'
        omniidl: Maybe you need to use the -p option?
        omniidl: (The error was 'No module named python')

Does anybody have an idea? The makefile looks good for me.

Posted by Etienne Lorriaux at August 28. 2006
          Hello,

salome 2.2.8 compiled fine and work. But the 3.2.1 kernel does not compile, i don't remember exactly the error.

Posted by Bastian Loeffler at August 30. 2006
            Everything worked fine now, the Kernel 3.2.1 is installed on my Gentoo. Addtionally to the requirements given you need omniorbpy package from Portage. Otherwise make install will fail with the error given below.

Which other packages beyond KERNEL are needed to use salome, which are useful? Thanks.

Posted by Arthur Magill at August 31. 2006
              Have a look at:

./InstallWizard_3_2_1_DS/Products/SOURCES/KERNEL_SRC_3.2.1/doc/INSTALL.html

Based on that document, I think we need MED, GEOM, SMESH, VISU and SUPERV.

I've got to the same point you've reached, with OCC and KERNEL compiled. I'm now having a go at GEOM, but have hit a wall in the build_configure script. Does anyone know where GUI_ROOT_DIR should point?

Posted by Bastian Loeffler at August 31. 2006
                Arthur Magill wrote:
                Have a look at:

I've got to the same point you've reached, with OCC and KERNEL compiled. I'm now having a go at GEOM, but have hit a wall in the build_configure script. Does anyone know where GUI_ROOT_DIR should point?

Should point to your GUI installation. Therefore you have to install GUI first which for me fails during make with an error given in my other  post.

Posted by Bastian Loeffler at August 31. 2006
                  Bastian Loeffler wrote:
                  Arthur Magill wrote:
                  Have a look at:

Should point to your GUI installation. Therefore you have to install GUI first which for me fails during make with an error given in my other  post. And I dont have your directory given above, what version did you load? I loaded the pure sources...

Posted by Arthur Magill at August 31. 2006
                    I downloaded the Debian Sarge version. It comes with some useful things packed in, like the sources for OpenCascade in a sensible format (rather than the java installer).

The GUI is kind of obvious, now you say it, thanks. build_configure goes okay, but ./configure is missing some files in ./salome_adm/unix/. I fixed by copying them from my Salome install:

cp -R $SALOME/salome_adm/unix/* ./salome_adm/unix/

Configure then appears to work. Make dies when it reaches SVTK:

../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for AIS_InteractiveObject'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `Standard::Free(void*&;)'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `SelectMgr_SelectableObject::IsAutoHilight() const'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `AIS_InteractiveObject::UnsetAttributes()'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `AIS_InteractiveObject::SetMaterial(Graphic3d_NameOfMaterial)'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `AIS_InteractiveObject::DefaultDisplayMode() const'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `PrsMgr_PresentableObject::SetTransformPersistence(int const&, gp_Pnt const&;)'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `AIS_InteractiveObject::SetDegenerateModel(Aspect_TypeOfDegenerateModel, double)'
                    ../../lib/salome/libSalomeObject.so: undefined reference to `AIS_InteractiveObject::AcceptDisplayMode(int) const'

...and lots more...

Posted by Arthur Magill at September 01. 2006
                      Solved that one. Reading through the error messages properly, I found the build wasn't picking up OCC libraries. I set

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$CASROOT/lib

and got a bit further. I'm now stuck at:

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/arthur/tgz/salome3.2.1_SRC/GUI_SRC_3.2.1/adm_local'
                      cp -rf ../adm_local ..
                      cp: `../adm_local' and `../adm_local' are the same file
                      make[2]: *** [resources] Error 1
                      make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/arthur/tgz/salome3.2.1_SRC/GUI_SRC_3.2.1/adm_local'
                      + exit 1
                      make[1]: *** [resources] Error 1
                      make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/arthur/tgz/salome3.2.1_SRC/GUI_SRC_3.2.1'
                      make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm really not sure where to look for this problem. It looks as if one of the makefiles is broken, but I've no idea which one?

Posted by Bastian Loeffler at September 03. 2006
                        I also loaded Degian Sarge version now. It is more helpful than pure sources, youre right. But installing from sources is much more difficult for OpenCascade than using java and it takes a long time.
                        The easiest way in my eyes is to install the Debian binaries which for me failes du to a not found python container even if i install all th erequirements as a binaries.

Compiling is very difficult. COuld you give me an overview how far you have gone and how you did it please? Thanks.

Posted by Arthur Magill at September 03. 2006
                          Hi Bastian,

Okay, lets try. There are quite a few steps, and the build takes a while. Download and unpack the Debian Sarge package. Navigate to

./Install_Wizard_3_2_1_DS/Products/SOURCES

and tar -zxvf CAS-6.1.tar.gz. Enter the directory CAS-6.1 and have a look at README.txt. Run a standard

./configure $FLAGS --prefix=/opt/OpenCASCADE6.1.0

where $FLAGS are taken from the readme. I'm assuming you've installed the packages listed earlier in this thread, and built Boost with the threads use flag. You'll also need VTK-4.2.6, as V5 doesn't work. Then

make
                          su
                          make install

and copy the directories across as listed in the README. Then

export CASROOT=/opt/OpenCASCADE6.1.0
                          cd $CASROOT/bin
                          ./DRAWEXE
                          pload ALL

and you should see OpenCASCADE start. I haven't done any more with it, because I don't really know how to.

Okay, now Salome. Return to InstallWizard_3_2_1/Products/SOURCES and untar the kernel

tar -zxvf KERNELsourcesV3.2.1.tar.gz
                          cd KERNEL_SRC_3.2.1
                          ./build_configure
                          ./configure --prefix=/opt/salome
                          make
                          su
                          make install

Hopefully you now have the Salome kernel installed. Next we want the GUI, and that's where I'm stuck. Return to InstallWizard_3_2_1/Products/SOURCES and untar GUI*.tar.gz. Enter the GUI* directory and

export KERNEL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/salome
                          export KERNEL_SRC=.../InstallWizard_3_2_1/Products/SOURCES/KERNEL_SRC_3.2.1
                          export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/OpenCASCADE6.1.0/lib:/opt/salome/lib
                          ./build_configure
                          ./configure --prefix=/opt/salome_gui

which fails, with a message about files missing in ./salome_adm/unix. I copied them from the salome install

cp -R /opt/salome/salome_adm/unix/* ./salome_adm/unix
                          ./configure --prefix=/opt/salome_gui
                          make

and see how far you get. I'm failing at SVTK, but maybe you won't.

There's nothing special about the directory names in /opt, they're just the names I'm using. I've probably missed a step somewhere, so post whatever error you see. Maybe one of us will get this thing built. Good luck ;)

Thanks Arthur, good luck for you, too. I will try later on, I am currently updating my Gentoo to 2006.1 including emerge -eav world which may take some time.
                            But thanks to the Gentoo developers this works :)
                            Regards Bastian

Thanks Arthur, good luck for you, too. I will try later on, I am currently updating my Gentoo to 2006.1 including emerge -eav world which may take some time.
                            But thanks to the Gentoo developers this works :)
                            Regards Bastian

Posted by Arthur Magill at September 04. 2006
                              I'm making more progress. Setting up the environment properly helps a lot. The easiest way to set environment variable in Gentoo is to put files in /etc/env.d. I have:

$ cat /etc/env.d/50opencascade
                              LDPATH=/opt/occ/lib
                              CASROOT=/opt/occ
                              LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/occ/lib
                              PATH=/opt/occ/bin

$ cat /etc/env.d/50med
                              LDPATH=/opt/med_fichier/lib
                              LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/med_fichier/lib
                              PATH=/opt/med_fichier/bin

$ cat /etc/env.d/60salome
                              LDPATH=/opt/salome/lib/salome:/opt/salome/lib/python2.4
                              KERNEL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/salome
                              GUI_ROOT_DIR=/opt/salome
                              LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/salome/lib/salome:/opt/salome/lib/python2.4
                              PATH=/opt/salome/bin/salome

Then (as root) type

$ env-update && source /etc/profile

to use the new setup. Back to compiling. With a few documentation error (I've been commenting out doc lines in the relevant Makefiles), I have Salome and Salome GUI built (see previous post).

$ export KERNEL_ROOT_DIR=/opt/salome
                              $ export KERNEL_SRC=/KERNEL_SRC_3.2.1
                              $ export GUI_ROOT_DIR=/opt/salome
                              $ export MED2HOME=/opt/med_fichier
                              $
                              $ cd /MED_SRC_3.2.1
                              $ ./build_configure
                              $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/salome
                              $ make

It all goes well until:

cd MEDMEM_I ; make lib
                              make[3]: Entering directory `/home/arthur/tgz/salome3.2.1_SRC/MED_SRC_3.2.1/src/MEDMEM_I'
                              make[3]: *** No rule to make target `SALOME_GenericObj@IDL_SRV_H@', needed by `MEDMEM_Med_i.lo'.  Stop.
                              make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/arthur/tgz/salome3.2.1_SRC/MED_SRC_3.2.1/src/MEDMEM_I'
                              make[2]: *** [lib_MEDMEM_I] Error 2
                              make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/arthur/tgz/salome3.2.1_SRC/MED_SRC_3.2.1/src'
                              make[1]: *** [lib_src] Error 2
                              make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/arthur/tgz/salome3.2.1_SRC/MED_SRC_3.2.1'
                              make: *** [all] Error 2

It looks to me like configure isn't substituting @IDL_SRV_H@ properly, but I don't know much about the whole configure process. Does anyone out there have any clues?

BTW, I'll write all these instructions down in a more coherent webpage once I get a chance.

Posted by Etienne Lorriaux at September 14. 2006
                                Hello,

i've retried yesterday. It seems that salome 3.2.1 does not compile with gcc-4.1. With gcc-3.4.6 i can compile the kernel, but i'm unable to compile the GUI. I think it's a problem with VTK, VTK-4.2.6 has been deleted from portage recently and i've upgraded to VTK5. I'm trying to reinstall manually VTK 4.2.6 but i get compiling problems.

Which version of VTK do you use?

Posted by Arthur Magill at September 14. 2006
                                  I started off with VTK 5.0, but had to downgrade to 4.2.6. I think I had the same issue with OpenCascade.

Somebody suggested slotting VTK in the Gentoo bugzilla, but the maintainer wasn't very keen. Maybe we should bring up the suggestion again.

I've managed to get Salome built here. My main problem was not doing exactly what it says in the documentation ;)

Having built the kernel, I exported CASROOT, KERNEL_ROOT_DIR and KERNEL_SOURCE and the build went fine. I built everything in the same directory, which I suspect helped. ./configure always fails towards the end, complaining about some files in salome_adm. If you copy those from $KERNEL_ROOT/salome_adm/unix/* to salome_adm/unix and rerun ./configure, it should complete.

I'm using gcc 3.3.5.

Arthur Magill wrote:
                                    I started off with VTK 5.0, but had to downgrade to 4.2.6. I think I had the same issue with OpenCascade.

Somebody suggested slotting VTK in the Gentoo bugzilla, but the maintainer wasn't very keen. Maybe we should bring up the suggestion again.

I've managed to get Salome built here. My main problem was not doing exactly what it says in the documentation ;)

Having built the kernel, I exported CASROOT, KERNEL_ROOT_DIR and KERNEL_SOURCE and the build went fine. I built everything in the same directory, which I suspect helped. ./configure always fails towards the end, complaining about some files in salome_adm. If you copy those from $KERNEL_ROOT/salome_adm/unix/* to salome_adm/unix and rerun ./configure, it should complete.

I'm using gcc 3.3.5.

Yes, i've already noticed that the vtk ebuild maintainer was not really active. I've never seen the ebuild for the VTK 4.4.2 release. Removing VTK-4.2.6 from portage is quite stupid since many applications still use it and are not VTK5-compliant. I've downloaded an old portage snapshot to get the VTK-4.2.6 ebuild and put it in a local overlay. I've just found the problem, it was the python support in vtk, removing the USE flag python solved the problem, and it works with gcc-3.4.6. My laptop is currently compiling GUI.

++

Posted by Erwan ADAM at September 14. 2006
                                  Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
                                  Hello,

i've retried yesterday. It seems that salome 3.2.1 does not compile with gcc-4.1. With gcc-3.4.6 i can compile the kernel, but i'm unable to compile the GUI. I think it's a problem with VTK, VTK-4.2.6 has been deleted from portage recently and i've upgraded to VTK5. I'm trying to reinstall manually VTK 4.2.6 but i get compiling problems.

Hello Etienne,

I'm currently porting salome on mandriva 2007 beta release with gcc4.1.1 and
                                  vtk5.0.1. For the moment, I've patched CASCADE_6.1.0, KERNEL, GUI and MED.
                                  When I finished (I think in one or two days), I put my sources on some ftp site.

Cheers,

E.A.

ADAM Erwan wrote:

Hello Etienne,

When I finished (I think in one or two days), I put my sources on some ftp site.

Cheers,

E.A.

Hello Erwan,

excellent !!

But OCC does not need VTK? I've been using OCC for several years and never noticed any vtk support.

In fact, i would just like to test some meshing solutions of SALOME with my OCC cases, so i think i just need KERNEL, GUI, MESH and GEOM modules. As soon as you can put these patches on ftp site, don't hesitate, even if all the patches are not finished.

I'm currently trying with VTK-4.2.6, i hope it will work...

Thanks, ++

Posted by Erwan ADAM at September 14. 2006
                                      Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
                                      ADAM Erwan wrote:

Hello Etienne,

Cheers,

E.A.

Hello Erwan,

excellent !!

But OCC does not need VTK? I've been using OCC for several years and never noticed any vtk support.

Thanks, ++

The patch for OCC are only 'cause gcc4.1

E.A.

Posted by Etienne Lorriaux at September 15. 2006
                                        Finally it compiles, but i'm getting errors launching runSalome

No module named CORBA

and a segmentation fault when python $KERNEL_DIR_ROOT/bin/salome/runSalome.py is executed.

Posted by Erwan ADAM at September 18. 2006
                                    ADAM Erwan wrote:
                                    Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
                                    Hello,

Hello Etienne,

Cheers,

E.A.

Hello all,

I've upload my sources of CASCADE 6.1.0 for gcc4.1 and
                                    SALOME for gcc4.1 and vtk5.0 (compatible with previous version
                                    of vtk). You can obtain them on the cea ftp site (ftp.cea.fr
                                    login:"ftp", passwd:"your email address";) at url:
                                    ftp://ftp.cea.fr/incoming/y2k01/adam

Cheers,

E.A.

Posted by Etienne Lorriaux at September 19. 2006
                                      Thanks Erwan

OCC compiled sucessfully this night with gcc 4.1.1. I'm now trying to build Salome with vtk 5 and gcc-4.1.1.

Posted by Erwan ADAM at September 20. 2006
                                      ADAM Erwan wrote:
                                      ADAM Erwan wrote:
                                      Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
                                      Hello,

Hello Etienne,

Cheers,

E.A.

Hello all,

Cheers,

E.A.

After some small tests, it seems that geom, smesh and med are ok but
                                      visu is completely broken ! More precisely, med files are correctly displayed
                                      with smesh component, correctly imported in med component but not
                                      correctly imported in visu component (error : "no data to be displayed" or
                                      something like that). I investigate the visu component but I'm not a
                                      specialist at all. It will be great if visu developpement team was looking
                                      at the patchs ...

Cheers,

E.A.

Posted by Etienne Lorriaux at September 20. 2006
                                        I don't use VISU, but the other modules seem to be OK.

I just got one problem comiling SMESH with fortran. I had to compile manually the object with gfortran instead of f77.

Posted by Daniel Tourde at September 21. 2006
                                          Hello, I have just found this thread. I did not have the time to read it in details but I am VERY interested by your findings regarding OpenCascade and Salome on Gentoo. I just would like to mention two things: - I created an ebuild for OpenCascade 6.1. It needs though to be tested and validated by people who have been working with OpenCascade and its installation. I am sure I missed _a lot_ when I created the ebuild... Please, take a look at: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118656 - Why not create in the same spirit a thread and an ebuild for Salome on bugs.gentoo.org? It seems that you went fairly far with the installtion. It is maybe time to sum this up into an ebuild. I am willing to help / test in this respect. I am sure many others would test the thing and help to iron out any problem. What do you think? Cordialement, Daniel

Posted by Erwan ADAM at September 21. 2006
                                          Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
                                          I don't use VISU, but the other modules seem to be OK.

I just got one problem comiling SMESH with fortran. I had to compile manually the object with gfortran instead of f77.

Hi Etienne,

Could you say more about the error ?

E.A.

Posted by Etienne Lorriaux at September 21. 2006
                                            Hello Erwan,

../../libtool --mode=compile f77 -c ../../../SMESH_SRC/src/MEFISTO2/trte.f
                                            f77 -c ../../../SMESH_SRC/src/MEFISTO2/trte.f -fPIC -DPIC -o trte.lo
                                            ../../libtool: line 731: f77: command not found
                                            make[3]: *** [trte.lo] Erreur 1
                                            make[3]: quittant le répertoire « /home/sources/V3_2_0_maintainance/SMESH/SMESH_BUILD/src/MEFISTO2 »
                                            make[2]: *** [lib_MEFISTO2] Erreur 2
                                            make[2]: quittant le répertoire « /home/sources/V3_2_0_maintainance/SMESH/SMESH_BUILD/src »
                                            make[1]: *** [lib_src] Erreur 2
                                            make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/sources/V3_2_0_maintainance/SMESH/SMESH_BUILD »
                                            make: *** [all] Erreur 2

Daniel: I'll take a look at your ebuild. It's been a long time i'd like to make ebuilds for OCC, salome and other scientific applications, but i'm lacking of time for the moment.

Daniel,

i think you should remove tcl and tk use flags since you can't build OpenCASCADE without tcl and tk.

Why did you put itk and itcl dependencies ?

Posted by Daniel Tourde at September 21. 2006
                                                Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
                                                Daniel,

i think you should remove tcl and tk use flags since you can't build OpenCASCADE without tcl and tk.

Why did you put itk and itcl dependencies ?

Salut! Thank you very much for your comment. Well, I looked there: http://www.opencascade.org/getocc/require/ where I saw the dependencies on TCL, Tix, Java, QT and FLTK for testing tools and demonstration tools. I did not know, to begin with, which ones were necessaries and which ones were optional, So, I put most of them as flags... Later on I realised that QT3 was not necessary, so I removed it but I left the others. For ITK and ITCL, they were referred in the ros/env.ksh and ros/env.csh, if I remember correctly. I assumed that these two packages were used somewhere, somehow. In any case, I am open to any comment or advice for what is REALLY necessary compared to what is optional.

I've never installed itk neither itcl to get opencascade working.

There is one big problem with your ebuild, gcc-4.1.1 is now stable with gentoo and OCC-6.1 does not compile with gcc-4.1.

Erwan has made patches in order to build OCC with gcc-4.1 and it works. I'm currently adding it in the ebuild and i think there are some other errors. I'll check everything and i'll give you my modified ebuild.

Posted by Daniel Tourde at September 22. 2006
                                                    Etienne Lorriaux wrote:

There is one big problem with your ebuild, gcc-4.1.1 is now stable with gentoo and OCC-6.1 does not compile with gcc-4.1.

Erwan has made patches in order to build OCC with gcc-4.1 and it works. I'm currently adding it in the ebuild and i think there are some other errors. I'll check everything and i'll give you my modified ebuild.

It does compile on gcc-4.1. I did not need any patch, I needed two added flags for C++ (see the opencascade forum http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum/thread_10015/). This is what you see in the ebuild where I wrote add -ffriend-injection and -fpermissive to the CXXFLAGS.
                                                    I do not certify that the libraries are working fine, the only thing I can certify is that it compiles fine.
                                                    ITK and ICL. Why are they specificy within the ros/env.csh then?
                                                    Cordialement,
                                                    Daniel

Posted by Daniel Tourde at September 22. 2006
                                                    Etienne Lorriaux wrote:

Let's follow this: http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum/thread_10305/

BTW, this thread we are using now was created for Salome, not Opencascade... We are maybe a bit 'off-topic' so to say.
                                                    Shall we continue the discussion on http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118656 or on http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum ?

Posted by Daniel Tourde at October 09. 2006

Hello all,

Cheers,

E.A.

Erwan,

Could you please check the FTP site you mentionned. It seems that the files are not there anymore.
I am planning to write ebuilds for Salome, I have VTK-5.0.1 on my boxes and I would like to use your patches.

Best regards
Daniel

Posted by CHEHADE Gabriel at March 04. 2007
    ADAM Erwan wrote:
    Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
    Hello,

Hello Etienne,

Cheers,

E.A.

Hello Etienne and Erwan,
    Is it possible to try this patch?
    I'm using CAELinux but i want have Salome on my laptop ( there is a MDV 2007 with gcc 4.1  )
    Regards.
    Gabriel

Posted by Erwan ADAM at September 15. 2006
    Etienne Lorriaux wrote:
    Hello,

Hello Etienne,

Are your VTK5 includes located in /usr/include/vtk-5.0 ? It is the case
    on mandriva 2007 rc1 so I just treated this case for the moment ...

E.A.

Posted by Marc Britten at September 23. 2006
    Etienne Lorriaux wrote:

The main problems i had to work around are :

- missing headers in some directories of salome sources : just search in other directories, you'll find the header and copy it.

This problem comes from not all the idl files being referenced in the Makefile.  Read my building on Ubuntu page for real fixes to this problem.