Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Problem importing a stl file in the geometry menu

Problem importing a stl file in the geometry menu

Up to Use

Problem importing a stl file in the geometry menu

Posted by Saint Marcel at July 07. 2020

Hello,

When I try to import a stl file from the geometry menu (File -> Import -> STL) there is the following error message that appears : 

"Import operation had finished with errors: C:/Users/.../Box_1.stl : Import driver failed"
I've looked around on the forum and it seems that no one have had the same issue.

How can I fix this ?

Best regards,

Marcel.

Re: Problem importing a stl file in the geometry menu

Posted by Nabil Ghodbane at July 07. 2020

Hi,

can you share  the STL such that we can check if the reported issue can be reproduced on our side as well?

Then, does the folder from which you're trying to import this STL contain special characters (spaces or accents) . Such folders are error prone.

Posted by Saint Marcel at July 07. 2020

Hello,

I don't think the issue is on the stl file itself. In fact, I have tried to create a simple cylinder on salome geometry, export it in stl and import it back in from the geometry menu and the error message stay the same.

Posted by Nabil Ghodbane at July 07. 2020

the issue was reproduced with SALOME 9.4.0:  Importing an exported geometry as an STL ASCII file leads to the reported error.

We checked that the error does not occur with  the coming SALOME release candidate.

In the meanwhile, you can export   to binary STL format (untick ASCII) which works or to some other supported formats.

Note that importing an ASCII STL works.

Posted by Saint Marcel at July 08. 2020

Previously Nabil Ghodbane wrote:

the issue was reproduced with SALOME 9.4.0:  Importing an exported geometry as an STL ASCII file leads to the reported error.

We checked that the error does not occur with  the coming SALOME release candidate.

In the meanwhile, you can export   to binary STL format (untick ASCII) which works or to some other supported formats.

Note that importing an ASCII STL works.

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply! May I ask what is the difference between an STL ASCII file and an ASCII STL ?

best reguards,

Marcel.

Posted by Nabil Ghodbane at July 08. 2020
Hi Marcel,
unfortunately, I could not edit my message after posting it. STL ASCII  file formats import fail with SALOME 9.4 in GEOM. Issue seems to have been fixed since.
STL ASCII == ASCII STL (apologize, I'm as you figured it out a non-native English-speaking)

Posted by Saint Marcel at July 08. 2020

Previously Nabil Ghodbane wrote:

Hi Marcel,
unfortunately, I could not edit my message after posting it. STL ASCII  file formats import fail with SALOME 9.4 in GEOM. Issue seems to have been fixed since.
STL ASCII == ASCII STL (apologize, I'm as you figured it out a non-native English-speaking)
 So, if I'm getting this right, the issue will be fixed on the next uptate, as we are still in the 9.4 version?

thanks for the assist.