Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use "Extract Group" not working for 2D MED results

"Extract Group" not working for 2D MED results

Up to Use

"Extract Group" not working for 2D MED results

Posted by Konyaro at September 01. 2019

Hello,

The "Extract Group" filter in Paravis works with edges of 2D meshes but does not work with Code_Aster 2D results. 

For instance in the attached files:

- mesh.med: mesh used for the simulation. If opened in Paravis, the 2 groups of edges can be extracted.

- resu.rmed: Code_Aster result calculated with the above mesh. The 2 groups appear in the tree but nothing can be extracted.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? It works fine with 2D OpenFOAM results so I guess there is an issue with the MED reader.

Konyaro

Attachments

Re: "Extract Group" not working for 2D MED results

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at September 05. 2019

Hi,

when you open a med file with some fields, only the elements of the dimension of the ticked fields are imported (or for fields on nodes, the elements the field is lying on).

In your case, only the triangle elements are imported when the fields are ticked (you can see the type of the elements in the spreadsheet view). The segment elements are not imported.

If you select the whole mesh by ticking TS1> Mesh> ComSup0> Mesh, you can then extract the groups of edges.

Christophe

Posted by Konyaro at September 07. 2019

Thank you Christophe for you answer,

I understand now why the groups can't be extracted. Nevertheless I don't see how to use the groups of the TS1 mesh with the TS0 results.

I often need to extract the groups used for the boundary conditions to post-process the results, for instance to get the reaction forces.

I tried to merge the results as explained there but the filter "Extract Group" can't be use with the resulting fields.

Is there a way to transfer the TS1 groups to TS0?

Any help welcome,

Konyaro

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at September 09. 2019

Hi,

The simplest is to write the field only on the groups you want with IMPR_RESU/GROUP_MA in another med file.

Otherwise, you can use the filter Resample to Dataset to interpolate the field on nodes on the cells of your groups:

• input: select resu.rmed with the field
  • source: select extract group in the pipeline

Chrstophe

Attachments

Posted by Konyaro at September 09. 2019

Hello,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. The filter "Resample to Dataset" works perfectly and is very handy.

Best regards,

Konyaro