Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use meshing cylinder with RadialQuadrangle1D2D

meshing cylinder with RadialQuadrangle1D2D

Up to Use

meshing cylinder with RadialQuadrangle1D2D

Posted by aimar orbe at March 05. 2020

Hi,

I am conducting some induction heating tests on reinforced mortar/concrete specimens and I have create some cad models in salome to export them and do some computational simulations.

I used a python script to create a partition with a cylinder (the steel rebar), a box (the mortar containing the steel rebar), a curve (for the induction coil) and another bigger box for the study domain. I meshed it correctly. The rebar uses RadialQuadrangle1D2D algorithm. (See attached file test_1.py)

However, when a I tried to model another test setup (adapting the precious script) where the coil is the only different element (I only reorient the mortar box and rebar cylinder / See attached file test_2.py), I obtain the following error when meshing the rebar:

Algorithm: RadialQuadrangle1D2D

Sub-shape: #278(Face)

Error: The face must be a full circle or a part of circle (i.e. the number of edges is less or equal to 3 an one of them is a circle curve

I am currently using salome 7.3, the one that was shipped with code aster (salome-meca). I know it is old, but it works smoothly for my occasional needs. I have also tried with salome 9, but I get the same error. Besides, in this newer version, sometimes I can not even select radial quadrangle algorithm for the rebar.

Any idea why I am getting this error and how could I fix it?

Attachments

Re: meshing cylinder with RadialQuadrangle1D2D

Since I can only upload a file at a time, I attached now the second one.

I uploaded python script since they are lighter, but if anyone needs the salome (hdf) file, just let me know.

Attachments

Posted by Saint Michael at March 05. 2020

Hi

Could you share a hdf file?

St.Michael

Sure. This one (https://ehubox.ehu.eus/s/PSwwY6ycTLAr7rd) corresponds to the first test (test_1.py). I linked it because it was too heavy to upload here.

I also modified it through the GUI to consider some skin effects and create a kind of viscous layer establishing a LayerDistribution2D based on FixedPoints1D.

And this one (https://ehubox.ehu.eus/s/5aAYdQiqeWDHp3f) is the one with the error.

Thank you St. Michael.

Posted by Saint Michael at March 05. 2020

I don't understand why test_1 works, IMHO it should not. You need   1) to create a sub-mesh with Radial Quadrangle on a disk face of rebar and    2) to remove Radial Quadrangle from the sub-mesh on Partition_rebar.

St.Michael

Posted by aimar orbe at March 06. 2020

Dear St. Michael,

I also do not know how I made it work. I am happy because, besides you St.Michael, I also perform miracles! :)

I have tried your suggestions and it works like a charm.

Thank you very much.

aimar