Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Self-intersection: how to fix it?

Self-intersection: how to fix it?

Up to Use

Self-intersection: how to fix it?

Posted by Hélio C. Bortolon at September 30. 2021

Dear colleagues,

I am having a problem with a STEP geometry downloaded from grabcad.com. It shows up in GEOM module normally, but when I try to mesh it, issues with 'self-intersection' arises and the result is clumsy.

Trying to detect the self-intersection in GEOM shows them, OK, but what now? I see node-node, node-edge and edge-face intersections, but the geometry entities seems what they should be to me.

Could anyone give me an example of what to do to fix the self-intersection problem?

I thank you all very much for any advice.

Best regards.

Helio

Attachments

Re: Self-intersection: how to fix it?

Posted by Saint Michael at October 01. 2021

Hi

First try to apply Partition to your geometry.

If it does not help, apply Limit Tolerance first and Partition then. Limit Tolerance is needed to increase 'thickness' of geometrical entities in order Partition to detect coincident entities.

If it deas not help, try to remove auxiliary edges and vertices (they are red and yellow in your picture) from the geometry you mesh.

St.Michael

Posted by Hélio C. Bortolon at October 02. 2021

Thank you very much, Saint Michael.

I will partition the as much as possible and see what happens. I will bring back the results ASAP.

Best regards,

Helio

Posted by Hélio C. Bortolon at October 10. 2021

Dear colleagues,

It's sad, but I have not been able to fix any of the issues pointed. Analysing more closely the geometry itself is so full of errors (non-coincidente, gaps, etc) that I will have to recall it from the supplier or use another one (it's a exercise for a course).

I thank you all for the attention.

Helio

Posted by Andrey Musienko at November 01. 2021

Take it easier... One could start constructing from free table...

Or de-split and get particular parts of the assembly...

AM