Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Import Salome mesh to STAR-CCM+

Import Salome mesh to STAR-CCM+

Up to Use

Import Salome mesh to STAR-CCM+

Posted by Daniel at May 12. 2020
Hello,

I am using Salome 9.4.0. Is there a way to import a Salome mesh (.med, unv., etc) to STAR-CCM+? A list of formats accepted by STAR-CCM+ is attached.

The Salome-Mesh module can export a mesh in .cgns format; however, when exported to  STAR-CCM+, the following error appears: "Import Unrecognized file format. " I also tried opening that cgns file in GMSH, but it says: "Unable to close CGNS file". I am assuming that this CGNS format provided by Salome is currently not working. 

I was able to load the .med mesh file from Salome to GMSH, where I exported it to .cgns format. I am able to load this mesh in STAR-CCM+, but unfortunately an extra boundary appears (See attachment). I did not create this boundary in Salome, it appears from the original definition of the geometry I believe. 

I read this post: https://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/912787576#580243959, but apparently STAR-CCM+ does not accept the ".mesh" file format anymore. 

Could anyone help me with this?

I will attach the Salome-Python-Study file in the next comment. Thank you for your time. 

Best regards,
Daniel 
Attachments

Re: Import Salome mesh to STAR-CCM+

Posted by Daniel at May 12. 2020

The Salome-Python-Study file is attached. 

Attachments

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at May 13. 2020

Hi,

There are two cgns formats: ADF and HDF5. SMESH exports in HDF5 format. You can use the tool cgnsconvert to convert from HDF5 to ADF, which may be the preferred format for STAR-CCM+.

./salome context

cgnsconvert your_mesh.cgns

About the internal faces, they result from the partition you made to create blocks for the hexahedral mesh. You can remove them with these steps:

• create a group with all the faces
  • cut this group with all the other groups
  • on this nwe group, right-click Delete group with content
Christophe

Posted by Daniel at May 14. 2020

Hello Christophe,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

You are correct about the CGNS formats. I used cgnsconvert to convert my mesh, and I was able to import the mesh into STAR-CCM+. However, the imported mesh has some negative volume cells. I am unsure why this occurs. Do you know what may cause this?

The method to "Delete group with content" worked perfectly (steps outlined below for future users).

Best regards,

Daniel

The methods that works: 

1) Remove the internal faces.

2) Export .med file from SALOME and import it to GMSH. 

3) Export from GMSH as a CGNS file. 

4) Import into STAR-CCM+.

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Hi,

There are two cgns formats: ADF and HDF5. SMESH exports in HDF5 format. You can use the tool cgnsconvert to convert from HDF5 to ADF, which may be the preferred format for STAR-CCM+.

./salome context

cgnsconvert your_mesh.cgns

About the internal faces, they result from the partition you made to create blocks for the hexahedral mesh. You can remove them with these steps:

• create a group with all the faces
  • cut this group with all the other groups
  • on this nwe group, right-click Delete group with content
Christophe

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at May 14. 2020

It is strange that only some cells volumes are reported as negative. If it were a conversion problem, all the cells would have been negative.

You can check if there are negative volume cells in SMESH with right-click in the view> Controls> Volume controls> Volume. And reorient them with the menu Modification> Orientation.

Or in Paraview/Paravis, import the CGNS file, add the filter Mesh quality and set Volume for Hex quality mesure.

Christophe

Posted by Daniel at May 17. 2020

Hello Christophe,

I did not find any cells with negative volumes. I imported that mesh into another code and it did not show negative volumes either. It must be a problem with STAR-CCM+. Thank you very much for all your help.

Best regards,

Daniel

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

It is strange that only some cells volumes are reported as negative. If it were a conversion problem, all the cells would have been negative.

You can check if there are negative volume cells in SMESH with right-click in the view> Controls> Volume controls> Volume. And reorient them with the menu Modification> Orientation.

Or in Paraview/Paravis, import the CGNS file, add the filter Mesh quality and set Volume for Hex quality mesure.

Christophe