Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Remove internal points in a collinear lines

Remove internal points in a collinear lines

Up to Use

Remove internal points in a collinear lines

Posted by Ashish Kumar at April 04. 2019
I have a geometry which consists of a lot of lines (formed by a lot of small line segments). I want to fuse the collinear line segments to a single line so that my final geometry has bigger lines with fewer points having only end points and intersection points.

For example, I want to convert the situation in the first image to the second image. 

I thought I can use the option "Fuse Collinear Edges within a Wire" but my geometry is not wire even though I want to achieve the same thing as described in this page https://docs.salome-platform.org/6/gui/GEOM/fuse_edges_operation_page.html 
Attachments

Re: Remove internal points in a collinear lines

Posted by Saint Michael at April 08. 2019

Hi

I your geometry consists of solids, try to use Repair > Remove extra edges.

If your geometry consists of edges only, you can create wires from them and apply "Fuse Collinear Edges within a Wire".

St.Michael

Posted by Ashish Kumar at April 08. 2019

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My geometry has two types of options:

1) It consists of multiple edges (around 100 in number). Some of these small edges are collinear, so ultimately they form multiple line-segments. As you suggested to create wires from edges, I want to know how can I create wires from edges in a script such that it automatically detects only those edges which are connected and form a line segment.

2) or it may consist of multiple faces and some of these faces can be merged to form a bigger face. I want to merge those faces so that during mesh creation there is less number of internal edges and I can reduce the number of cells in the mesh. I could use the fuse option to combine faces, but I want to know how can I script this process so that I can automatically select and fuse those faces which form a bigger face.

I have uploaded my script in the following folder ( https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w9bm04pm2nwbryr/AABSj0nBopgxPr_ryss5MyO0a?dl=0 ).  In this script I want to remove internal edges from the geometry crackFaces. 

Posted by Saint Michael at April 15. 2019

Hi

I tried your script and did not find any edge that can be removed. All vertices seem to be at face corners.

St.Michael