Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use GEOM/SMESH: Study conversion from SALOME 9.3.0 to SALOME 9.4.0?

GEOM/SMESH: Study conversion from SALOME 9.3.0 to SALOME 9.4.0?

Up to Use

GEOM/SMESH: Study conversion from SALOME 9.3.0 to SALOME 9.4.0?

Posted by Gregor Simic at June 24. 2020

Hello,

I have a study with GEOM objects made in SALOME-9.3.0 environment. The meshes, prepared from those CAD objects, were done with gmsh, since the geometry contains some issues (that I cannot in the moment fix). This is the only mesher that goes past those imperfections and produces a good quality mesh for my simulation.

If I open the study with SALOME-9.4.0, activate the SMESH module and try to create new mesh objects using the GEOM objects created in SALOME-9.3.0, gmsh is not listed among the meshing algorithms. If I quickly create a cylinder, sphere or any primitive in GEOM, gmsh is listed. Also, funny enough, existing SMESH objects that had gmsh set in SALOME-9.3.0, are used without issue and gmsh is ran if I clear the mesh data and re-compute it. I haven't checked the code in SMESH to see what are the conditions

Must I convert the study? There are no warnings or error shown when I ran SALOME-9.4.0 and load the study.

Regards

Re: GEOM/SMESH: Study conversion from SALOME 9.3.0 to SALOME 9.4.0?

Posted by Nabil Ghodbane at June 25. 2020

can you share your study such that, in case the issue is reproduced, we can escalate it to our developers team ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Gregor Simic at June 25. 2020

Hello Nabil,

While I cannot provide any used geometry due to NDA, I found out that gmsh is present as algorithm in SALOME-9.4.0 only when the source geometry is solid (gmsh is available in both volume and surface meshing). If I explode a solid, i.e., to a shell, then gmsh is not present for the 2D surface meshing.

Also, I do not use the distributed SALOME, but I compile it from sources. I will check in the logs if there is a non-fatal error.

Reproduction in SALOME-9.4.0:

Activate GEOM.

Create solid geometry, i.e., box.

Explode the solid geometry to shell.

Activate SMESH.

Create a new mesh and use the solid geometry. Gmsh is present as a meshing algorithm in both 2D and 3D.

Create a new mesh on the exploded shell geometry. Gmsh is not present as a meshing algorithm.

If I do these steps in SALOME-9.3.0, gmsh is available in both instances.

thanks for the detailled steps description.

yes you're right. Creating a second Mesh object does not show GMSH among the available algorithms.

This rings a bell indeed. Checking with the next SALOME release candidate which is currently in preparation, shows that this issue which was already reported some time ago, does not occur.