Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Problem with simple hexahedral mesh

Problem with simple hexahedral mesh

Up to Use

Problem with simple hexahedral mesh

Posted by P929 at May 07. 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to mesh a really simple  H shaped beam into hexagonal elements, but I'm getting a strange meshing pattern on the H-shaped face as seen here <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/iv00fSY"><a href="//imgur.com/iv00fSY"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm also attaching the *.hdf file. If someone would be willing to check the file and possibly point some ideas I'd be really grateful.

Attachments

Re: Problem with simple hexahedral mesh

Posted by P929 at May 07. 2019

https://imgur.com/a/iv00fSY

This is the image. I couldn't find a 'Edit' button in the original posst...is it even possible to edit a post?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Posted by Saint Michael at May 08. 2019

Hi

Quadrangle (Mapping) algorithm is intended to apply to faces that can be viewed as quadrilaterals. Similarly Hexahedron(ijk) algorithm can be applied to geometry that is a set of blocks.

You need to divide your geometry into blocks using Partition. See the attached study.

St.Michael

Attachments

Posted by P929 at May 08. 2019

Hi St. Michael,

you're always too helpful in this forum. Unfortunately, the file you attached didn't work in my PC, but anyway I understood the idea and I splitted the body into 3 parts in Rhino and I was able to mesh it as I wanted.

Now a question that arises is how to produce a similar hexaquadrangular mesh when the object doesn't have a right angle.

I wanted to attach a new file, where I have the initial mesh as intended and the new failed mesh with a beam, which has been cut at 40 degrees, but even compressed with 7z is larger than 100  KB, so I post the link with the updated

https://mega.nz/#!d94HnCpB!K3X2xIbPKsf5bwa2q4NSdPcOfaruL6bshlENbxOSiJc

Once again thx so much

Posted by Saint Michael at May 08. 2019

The simplest way seems to use Extrusion 3D algorithm. To use it you have to define a sub-mesh on a prism "bottom" from which the mesh will be extruded.

St.Michael

Posted by P929 at May 08. 2019

Wow,

Once again thx so much for your input and time. I did it as you mentioned and it worked flawlessly!!

I'm attaching the corrected file for reference of someone else.

Attachments

Posted by Sergio Pluchinsky at May 09. 2019

With a little more of effort (more partitions) you can have the profiles meshed with the radius also. These meshes were generated as a 2D quad second order mesh in Salome, and then extruded and positionated in Mecway, to solve with CalculiX.

Attachments

Posted by F. Boever at May 12. 2019

Previously Sergio Pluchinsky wrote:

With a little more of effort (more partitions) you can have the profiles meshed with the radius also. These meshes were generated as a 2D quad second order mesh in Salome, and then extruded and positionated in Mecway, to solve with CalculiX.

Sergio,

Did you use COUPLING in CalculiX to connect to the other beams?

Regards,

Fred

Posted by Sergio Pluchinsky at May 13. 2019

F. Boever, I'm using simple TIE for connecting the beams. I has to investigate COUPLING for the eyebolts.

Regards

Posted by F. Boever at May 19. 2019

Sergio,

Thanks for the reply.  Good work.

Regards,

Fred