Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use SALOME 9.5.0: When rotating a GEOM object with groups, the updated groups are not used in existing meshes

SALOME 9.5.0: When rotating a GEOM object with groups, the updated groups are not used in existing meshes

Up to Use

SALOME 9.5.0: When rotating a GEOM object with groups, the updated groups are not used in existing meshes

Posted by Gregor Simic at September 29. 2020

Hello,

I have found this reproducible error. In GEOM, I have a model with groups. In SMESH I have made meshes based on those groups. Afterwards I have found that I had to rotate my model and after doing so I found out that SMESH still produced meshes on geometry before rotating (Rotation done without creating a copy).

I know I am using GEOM, but I haven't tried SHAPER due to the fact that in previous SALOME versions you had to make intermediate steps to GEOM in order to mesh and I have already prepared STEP files.

How to reproduce:

1. Activate GEOM module

2. Create an object, i.e., Box.

3. On the Box create a group. One side selected is enough.

4. Activate SMESH

5. Create mesh from the group created on step 3. (I only use gmsh but it shouldn't matter which one you are using.)

6. Mesh it.

7. Go back to GEOM

8. Rotate the Box around the Z axis for, i.e., 20 degrees. Uncheck Create a copy!

9. Go to SMESH

10. Clear mesh data on the mesh and click Update.

11. Mesh it

The resulting mesh is not made from the rotated geometry. Of course I will ask if I am doing anything wrong.

Best regards,

Gregor Simic

Re: SALOME 9.5.0: When rotating a GEOM object with groups, the updated groups are not used in existing meshes

Posted by Gregor Simic at September 29. 2020

Creating meshes on the group after rotating results in the same error.

Only after making a copy of the GEOM object does it properly use the correct geometry.

Re: SALOME 9.5.0: When rotating a GEOM object with groups, the updated groups are not used in existing meshes

Posted by Nabil Ghodbane at September 30. 2020

Thanks for your email. I will raise the question, to assess whether this is a bug or a known limitation. The same behavior is reproduced with SHAPER.

Note that with SALOME 9.5.0, you don't have to do the intermediate step. SHAPER results are available directly in SMESH in the item labelled "SHAPERResultds"  

Posted by Gregor Simic at October 01. 2020

Thanks Nabil.

So I have tried using SHAPER in our compiled SALOME distribution. But I get an error in which when I create a part and make a primitive, if I try to save or change to a different module I get a "SWIG director method error." with the trace-

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "SHAPER/bin/salome/ConnectorPlugin_PublishToStudyFeature.py", line 102, in execute

aSShape = anEngine.FindOrCreateShape(aSSEntry)

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'FindOrCreateShape'

There is no SHAPER engine present and in this case it is None.

I will check our compile logs to see if there is missing something.

Best regards,

Gregor Simic