Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use How to apply submesh to a wire (not to all the edges composing the wire)

How to apply submesh to a wire (not to all the edges composing the wire)

Up to Use

How to apply submesh to a wire (not to all the edges composing the wire)

Posted by andrea dm at July 01. 2020

Dear All,

I'm using Salome to generate the mesh of a 2D airfoil

What I'm doing is:

GEOMETRY:

- import the step file of the airfoil: it is a 2d shape.

- new-entity/explode to get the edges

- new entity/built/wire  --> create the wire of suction side, composed by two edges (wire1)

- new entity/built/wire  --> create the wire of pressure side, composed by three edges (wire2)

- new entity/built/wire  --> create the wire of trailing edge, composed by one edges (wire3)

- new entity/built/face  --> create the face to be meshed of trailing edge, using the three wires

- mouse dx on face / create group --> create three groups of edges (for wire1, wire2 and wire3) for submesh

MESH

- I create the mesh using NETEGEN 2D mesh for the face with "wire discretization" (local lenght) as 1D algoritm

Now I need to mesh the three wires specifying a distribution. For example for suction side (wire1) :

- I create a submesh on the group I created (Group1): I chose composite side discretization and I specify a number of segments (40 in the example)

I would like to mesh the suction side, with a total number of 40 elements. However, the algorithm creates 40 elements for each edge composing the wire.. 

I also tried to fuse the edges and other meshing algorithms but the result is the same..

Where I'm wrong? How can I specify the submesh of a wire or alternative how can I fuse the edges getting a new unique edge to be specify for grouping?

Thanks!

Andrea

Attachments

Re: How to apply submesh to a wire (not to all the edges composing the wire)

Posted by Nabil Ghodbane at July 01. 2020

can you either share your study (HDF file) or dump the study and attach the step file, such that we can try to reproduce the different steps and in case of an issue, raise it to our developers ?

Regards.

Posted by andrea dm at July 01. 2020

Hi,

thanks for your help.

In the attached zip file there is the step of the airfoil, the hdf and the dump study.

Andrea

Attachments

Posted by andrea dm at July 09. 2020

Hi, 

is there any workaround to specify the correct number of elements when meshing a wire?

Thanks,

Andrea

Posted by Saint Michael at July 09. 2020

Hi

There are direct actions: (1) assign a hypothesis per an edge using sub-meshes or (2) use Composite wire discretization algorithm to apply a hypothesis to the whole wire

St.Michael

Posted by andrea dm at July 10. 2020

Dear Michel,

Thanks for your answer.

I have two choices in the 1d hypothesis for meshing the wire: "wire discretization" and "composite side discretization".

However for both of them, choosing for example 30 as number of segments, the results is the same, the algorithm puts 30 segments in each edge composing the wire.

Do you mean one of them for "Composite wire discretization algorithm", right?

I'm testing the attached case, using Salome-Meca 9.3.0  installed in windows 10.

Andrea

Posted by Saint Michael at July 13. 2020

If "composite side discretization" does not work, this means that the wire is not smooth enough. Then the way (1) remains, create a sub-mesh per an edge.

St.Michael