Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? Move vertices of a STP file and see geometry modified

Move vertices of a STP file and see geometry modified

Up to How to use Salome?

Move vertices of a STP file and see geometry modified

Posted by AJP at August 21. 2019
Hi,

I was hoping you can help.  I've been provided with a STP file. What I'd like to do is move a couple of the vertices and see the geometry updated/modified.  I cannot provide the STP file, but I'm looking for a work flow that can do this for a general STP file. Ultimately, I would like to dump the process from the GUI to a python file and be able to modify a vertex position and see the geometry modified all via a python script

I do not seem to be able to see a way to do this in Salome geom (v 9.3.0).  Could anyone provide some help? 

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Move vertices of a STP file and see geometry modified

Posted by Saint Michael at August 21. 2019

Hi Andy,

It is not possible in SALOME GEOM, and I suspect neither is it in any other soft. I think it could be possible provided that your geomtry consisted of vertices only, or if STEP file included parametric model data but AFAIK it is not so.

St.Michael

Posted by AJP at August 21. 2019

Thank you for your reply.  It is possible to do this in GEOM if I have started from scratch and make the geometry myself.  In that case I could have written out a python script of my actions and therefore modified the vertex location and then re-run the python script. I could have also made a mesh on the geometry and captured that in the python script and therefore the subsequent mesh would have been modified also based on the vertex being moved. So if I understand you correctly, what you're saying is this can't be done with a STP file? Is that correct?  If I were to go back to the person who gave me the STP file and request another format, would it be possible with another format that Salome GEOM can read?  BREP?

Thanks,

Andy

Posted by AJP at August 22. 2019

Does anyone else have any further thoughts on the above? Or suggestions for a different file format that would allow the above?

Thanks,

Andy

Posted by Sergio Pluchinsky at August 29. 2019

If you need to modify directly the geometry (from a step file), several CAD programs can do this (Solidworks, Solidedge, NX, Inventor...), they call it direct manipulation or something like that depending the vendor. After that you need to re-export the file in step format again.