Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) grouping of faces of mesh created by extruding 2D mesh

grouping of faces of mesh created by extruding 2D mesh

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

grouping of faces of mesh created by extruding 2D mesh

Posted by ujjwal Chetan at June 21. 2018

I created a 2D geometry in geometry module. Then, I switched to mesh module and created a 2D mesh and now I extruded this 2D mesh into 3D and it has now become a solid 3D mesh file. Now, I wanted to group the various boundary faces of this 3D mesh but I am not able to do so. As I have no geometry corresponding to this 3D mesh, I can't select group from the geometry and even by other ways I am not able to do so. Could anybody suggest me how to do so?

Re: grouping of faces of mesh created by extruding 2D mesh

Posted by Saint Michael at June 21. 2018

Hi

If you create mesh groups BEFORE mesh extrusion, and activate Generate Groups check-box, then new  elements will be included into new groups generated from the groups you created before. See doc on Generate Groups check-box here http://docs.salome-platform.org/latest/gui/SMESH/extrusion_page.html

St.Michael

Posted by ujjwal Chetan at June 24. 2018

Previously Saint Michael wrote:

Hi

If you create mesh groups BEFORE mesh extrusion, and activate Generate Groups check-box, then new  elements will be included into new groups generated from the groups you created before. See doc on Generate Groups check-box here http://docs.salome-platform.org/latest/gui/SMESH/extrusion_page.html

St.Michael

Thanks Michael, I got it and am able to do it flawlessly now. 

Moreover, I am facing one problem when I tried to convert the exported .unv file to OpenFoam,  it says:

<Found 800 reversed boundary faces out of 8000

Sorting boundary faces according to group (patch)

0: side_walls is patch

1: bottom_wall is patch

2: top_wall is patch

Constructing mesh with non-default patches of size:

side_walls 3200

bottom_wall 1600

top_wall 1600

--> FOAM Warning : 

From function Foam::polyMesh::polyMesh(const Foam::IOobject&, const Foam::Xfer<Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > >&, const cellShapeList&, const faceListList&, const wordList&, const wordList&, const Foam::word&, const Foam::word&, const wordList&, bool)

in file meshes/polyMesh/polyMeshFromShapeMesh.C at line 595

Found 1600 undefined faces in mesh; adding to default patch.

End>

I don't know how to deal with it. Could you sort it out? 

Posted by ujjwal Chetan at June 24. 2018

Previously ujjwal Chetan wrote:

Previously Saint Michael wrote:

Hi

St.Michael

Thanks Michael, I got it and am able to do it flawlessly now. 

Moreover, I am facing one problem when I tried to convert the exported .unv file to OpenFoam,  it says:

<Found 800 reversed boundary faces out of 8000

Sorting boundary faces according to group (patch)

0: side_walls is patch

1: bottom_wall is patch

2: top_wall is patch

Constructing mesh with non-default patches of size:

side_walls 3200

bottom_wall 1600

top_wall 1600

--> FOAM Warning : 

From function Foam::polyMesh::polyMesh(const Foam::IOobject&, const Foam::Xfer<Foam::Field<Foam::Vector<double> > >&, const cellShapeList&, const faceListList&, const wordList&, const wordList&, const Foam::word&, const Foam::word&, const wordList&, bool)

in file meshes/polyMesh/polyMeshFromShapeMesh.C at line 595

Found 1600 undefined faces in mesh; adding to default patch.

End>

I don't know how to deal with it. Could you sort it out? 

I tried to open it on paraView but couldn't. Then I came to know that it has created defaultFaces patch in the boundary file. I created one extra patch with the same name in all the variables of '0' folder and then I was able to see the geometry in paraview. After visualization in paraview, I found that, the 2D geometry I used to create the 3D revolution is being counted as the default face (undefined one) but I don't know how to sort it out as I only created three face-groups in the mesh file namely: 1)top_wall, 2) side_walls and 3) bottom_wall. How this extra face is coming into picture. I have included the paraview screenshort, it can be seen clearly. Thanks

Attachments

Posted by Saint Michael at June 25. 2018

Hi

You can remove unwanted element in SALOME before exporting the file. It is easier to arrange that those elements are included in a group (you already know how) and use Remove > Delete Groups With Contents to remove the element.

St.Michael

Posted by ujjwal Chetan at July 03. 2018

Thanks Michael for the help...

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.