Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) SALOME version 9.3.0 is released!

SALOME version 9.3.0 is released!

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

SALOME version 9.3.0 is released!

Posted by Site Administrator at May 22. 2019

Dear SALOME users,

CEA/DEN, EDF R&D and OPEN CASCADE are pleased to announce SALOME version 9.3.0.

It is a public release that contains results of planned improvements and bug fixes against SALOME version 9.2.0 released in December 2018. In addition, this release introduces new CAD modeling module Shaper. Shaper is a CAD tool with a strong interactive and python scripting. It comes as a replacement of Geometry module which becomes deprecated and will be removed in future versions of SALOME.

Please visit news page (http://www.salome-platform.org/news) for more details about this release or proceed to the download page (http://www.salome-platform.org/downloads) to get it.

Regards,
SALOME site administrator.

Re: SALOME version 9.3.0 is released!

Posted by William Tougeron at May 30. 2019

Hi all,

This "Shaper" module was announced I trust in 2014, during the User Day. This was very exiting news! Finally it's available.

I think I started with the 4th version of Salome... So, this is 10 years of Geometry module "everyday" using which comes to an end...

I would like to warmly thank all the developer team. A while ago, I maintained the cfdmsh library. Unfortunately my available time felt down and I stopped developing it few years ago*. But the Salome team is here for more than 10 years with constancy and professionalism :) ( *The cfdmsh library becomes anyway obsolete since it worked mainly with the old Geometry module.)

First tests on the new Shaper module are very encouraging :) Elegant interface (no more pop-up appearing in middle of screen when starting an operation), effective constrains, ergonomic way to use parameters, random colors ;)

Of course, this new module is still a bit limited in some ways (can't replace yet totally the Geometry module). But no doubt the menu bar will be quickly populated with new options.

So far, Salome was I think the best CAD open-source tool. FreeCAD was the biggest competitor, because of sketches and use of parameters (all that Shaper knows). But after 10 years FreeCAD is still at a 0.x version... The rigidity of the old Geometry module could have been a bit repellent for some people. With the new Shaper module, the popularity of Salome will for sure strongly increase.

I wish the best for this new module, for Salome as a whole, and for the Salome developer team. Be this new chapter of the Salome story be full of success.

Once again: thank you so much! :)

Best regards,

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 03. 2019

Hello William,

As an former SALOME developer, thank you for your message !

Best regards,

Gilles

Previously William Tougeron wrote:

Hi all,

This "Shaper" module was announced I trust in 2014, during the User Day. This was very exiting news! Finally it's available.

I think I started with the 4th version of Salome... So, this is 10 years of Geometry module "everyday" using which comes to an end...

I would like to warmly thank all the developer team. A while ago, I maintained the cfdmsh library. Unfortunately my available time felt down and I stopped developing it few years ago*. But the Salome team is here for more than 10 years with constancy and professionalism :) ( *The cfdmsh library becomes anyway obsolete since it worked mainly with the old Geometry module.)

First tests on the new Shaper module are very encouraging :) Elegant interface (no more pop-up appearing in middle of screen when starting an operation), effective constrains, ergonomic way to use parameters, random colors ;)

Of course, this new module is still a bit limited in some ways (can't replace yet totally the Geometry module). But no doubt the menu bar will be quickly populated with new options.

So far, Salome was I think the best CAD open-source tool. FreeCAD was the biggest competitor, because of sketches and use of parameters (all that Shaper knows). But after 10 years FreeCAD is still at a 0.x version... The rigidity of the old Geometry module could have been a bit repellent for some people. With the new Shaper module, the popularity of Salome will for sure strongly increase.

I wish the best for this new module, for Salome as a whole, and for the Salome developer team. Be this new chapter of the Salome story be full of success.

Once again: thank you so much! :)

Best regards,

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at June 03. 2019

Hello William,

Thank you for the kind words.

And thanks the FreeCAD team for the good work on the constraint solver engine.

I hope SHAPER will be useful to your projects even more than GEOM was.

Best regards,

Christophe

Posted by Site Administrator at June 04. 2019

Dear SALOME users,

The universal Linux binary package for SALOME version 9.3.0 is now available. Follow to downloads page (https://www.salome-platform.org/downloads) to get it.

Regards,
SALOME site administrator.

Posted by Tobias Holzmann at June 06. 2019

Dear Salome-Team,

I just want to confirm what William said. I am using Salome for 9 years now in the field of CFD and OpenFOAM. I did almost all geometry reparation, reconstruction, surface meshing etc. within your software. However, with the new Shaper module, the geometry generation is shifted to a new level. Parameter-based settings in combination with the sketches are so powerful now. I was always looking forward to such an implementation and now it is there. Many thanks for your effort and activities. I just can confirm, that this module will increase SalomeĀ“s value much more.

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Tobias

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.