Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) Re: Meshing with viscous layer

Re: Meshing with viscous layer

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

Posted by Dennis van der Arend at November 24. 2016

Hello,

For the project I'm currently working on I have to compute flow in a certain pipe configuration. I added a picture of it, the front and back are inlet and outlet (pipe is symmetrical). It splits in two smaller pipes (and joins later) as you can see. The geometry itself is not the problem, but for a while I've been trying to create a good mesh for it. Since the problem is about CFD I'd like to have a finer mesh near the wall and was also looking into the 'viscous layers'  hypothesis. However, I keep getting error messages, or SALOME doesn't compute any (additional) BL refinement when no error shows.

Do you maybe have any advise if I'm trying the correct way or how to approach this? I've used several meshing algorithms, and currently most happy with Tetrahedron (Netgen) on 3D, Triangle (mefisto) on 2D and wire discretization on 1D. This doesn't give a mesh concentration on edges, which will heavily decrease CFD efficiency.

I'm using SALOME 7.8.0 on Windows.

The geometry I'm trying to mesh is a solid consisting of a collection of faces. These were extracted from a STEP file.

It would a lot to me if you could help, I'm currently stuck for some time...

Kind regards,

Dennis

Attachments

Posted by Dennis van der Arend at November 24. 2016

Maybe useful, but this is the error I get when trying t compute a mesh with viscous layers (see attached image). When meshing without the viscous layers hypothesis on the mesh I sometimes (?) get the warning that some peaks are suppressed, since they are to close to the border (as far as I'm able to understand French and use Google translate. Also there appears to be a 'BFGS update error2'.

I attached both error messages. Without viscous layers messages are the ones starting with tesusp and the BFGS error. The lines after appear when trying to mesh with viscous layers

Attachments

Posted by SMESH expert at December 16. 2016

Hello Dennis

Your geometry is rather difficult for viscous layers construction, as SALOME is not smart enough at this algorithm. I hope bug fixes I made will allow you to get the boundary layers. The fixes will become available soon in a new 8.2.0 version.

Best regards

Edward

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.