Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

Up to Install & build

CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

Posted by Dmitrii Semikin at July 24. 2020
Attachments

Re: CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

Posted by Dmitrii Semikin at July 24. 2020

Sorry, for some reason text editor did not work during composing of the message (I tried Firefox on Linux an Windows and MSEdge on Windows).

Anyway, the problem is described in the title:

 

I've just built SALOME-9.4.0 from sources on CentOS 7 (from the downloaded package for CO7). Initial binary distribution works just fine (also now, when I start it with ./binsalome). But the version I built does not show any text labels. E.g. all items in menu do not have any text (see screenshot in the original post). Also e.g. in the project tree there are only icons, but no text.

Could someone suggest any idea, what could go wrong, and how to fix it?

 

Some bonus question, not related to the main topic: is there anywhere list of the packages required to be installed on CentOS for building? README tells just, that some packages are needed, but does not specify, which exactly. I built using trial-and-error approach. When some module failed, I just looked, for what was missing and installed it. But if there were just list of packages to install before the build, it would significantly simplify the process...

 

Thank you in advance,

Dmitrii.

Re: CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

Posted by Nabil Ghodbane at July 24. 2020

Hi,

discussing this issue internally, it seems that you need to have fontconfig_devel installed on your CentOS 7.

If this does not solve the issue, we will send you the system dependencies installed on our CentOS 7

 

Re: CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

Posted by Gregor Simic at July 24. 2020

Hello,

 

this sometimes happens because Qt cannot find fonts. Setting the QT_QPA_FONTDIR to a font directory, i.e., /usr/share/fonts/dejavu should  solve this issue. This of course only happened in our compiled versions of SALOME on CentOS systems.

 

export QT_QPA_FONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/dejavu

 

Best regards

Re: CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

Posted by Gregor Simic at July 24. 2020
Forgot to mention that the export command does not solve the issue, it just provides Qt with a direct location of a font directory. And if you do not have the dejavu font pack installed on CentOS7 (which is unlikely since CentOS7 is shipped with DejaVu), you have to set the QT_QPA_FONTDIR to something else. And this only sets it for your current shell, if you want it to be always present, edit the ~/.bashrc and paste the command there, otherwise you will always have to run this before running SALOME.
 
Regarding required packages, I do not know if these are all required packages, but from our list of requirements for SALOME on a clean CentOS7 the following was required:
 
    yum -y groupinstall 'Development Tools'
    yum -y install redhat-lsb-core
    yum -y install libXt-devel libXmu-devel mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel
    yum -y install libXi-devel zlib-devel bzip2-devel libpng-devel
    yum -y install libXrender-devel freeglut-devel
    yum -y install openssl-devel # required by Python
 
And texlive is I think recommended to have, but not sure exactly why we needed it (gl2ps?):
 
    yum -y install texlive-collection-latexrecommended
    yum -y install texlive-collection-latexextra
    yum -y install texlive-collection-fontsrecommended

Re: CO7 - after build from source all the gui labels (e.g. menu items) are empty

Posted by Dmitrii Semikin at July 26. 2020

Hi Nabil, Gregor

Thank you for your answers.

Previously Gregor Simic wrote:

Hello,

 

this sometimes happens because Qt cannot find fonts. Setting the QT_QPA_FONTDIR to a font directory, i.e., /usr/share/fonts/dejavu should  solve this issue. This of course only happened in our compiled versions of SALOME on CentOS systems.

 

export QT_QPA_FONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/dejavu

 

Best regards

This indeed helped. But I still wonder, why this problem does not happen, when I use "binsalome"...

Anyway, once again, thank you for your help

Dmitrii

Powered by Ploneboard
Document Actions