Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Syrthes in Salome

Syrthes in Salome

Up to Install & build

Syrthes in Salome

Posted by Fa-Gung Fan at May 04. 2015
Dear Salome-platform users/developers, How can we get Syrthes to Salome as a module? I downloaded and built Syrthes4.3.0. It works fine stand-alone. I would like it to be a module in Salome (like Aster in Salome-Meca). Thank you very much. - ffan

Re: Syrthes in Salome

Posted by Jorge Inglessis at February 05. 2016
Any progress about this?

I need to do the same thing.

Thanks.

Posted by Matthias Zenker at February 08. 2016
Dear Salomé experts/developpers,

Salomé is a really powerful platform for FEM, featuring geometry, meshing and postprocessing modules. It just lacks the FEM solvers - at least those which are not covered by Code-Aster. So there is interest to create new solver modules, not only for Syrthes, but also for Elmer and others. Since creating a Salomé module is not an easy task, it would be a great help to have a kind of solver module template (C++ and Python) which can be used as starting point.

Typical tasks for such a module would be to convert the mesh to the solver-specific format, visualize it, set materials, boundary conditions, and body forces, define the solver parameters, write a command file for the solver, start it, and pass the information on the results files to the ParaVis module.

If a documented sample module for one solver including all of the above was available, it would be much more easy to adapt it for one's preferred solver.

Would it be possible to put this on top of the wishlist? ;)

Or maybe this already exists, and we just don't know about it?

Thank you for any hint,

Matthias

Posted by pierre_j at February 08. 2016

Hi Matthias,

Only my 2 cents (not very constructive, but very likely to be the answer of a Salome developer).

Salome logic for a solver module doesn't fit exactly with the definition you state.

- mesh format conversion: it is the solver that is supposed to accept MED format, and not the solver module that is supposed to make the conversion from MED to solver proprietary format

- material properties, boundary condition: again, the solver is supposed to be able to read group definition embedded in MED file, and mechanical data that you will have written in an input deck by yourself. Alternatively to writing yourself the input deck, you can "somehow" create a dictionary to be given either to XDATA module (CEA) or EFICAS module (EDF) : these are modules that ease the writing of data in an input deck, but they have to know the target format through a dictionary (I don't know if the task is an easy one or not).

- conversion to ParaVis: again, the solver is supposed to be able to write into MED format, so that ParaVis can load the results.

In short, "integrating" a solver in Salome is 1st essentially a work to be achieved on the side of the solver, by making it compatible with MED format.

A "solver module" in Salome is then essentially in charge of tracking a solver run: define number of CPUs, memory, running the job... Defining a "solver module" will then give you access to additional Salome services like YACS: running workflows... and so on. If you don't need these "advanced" functionalities, writing a "solver module" is actually not necessary.

So if you want to have Elmer compatible/integrated with Salome, the 1st step (before tweaking Salome) is to make it compatible with MED format.

The same would stand for any other solvers (CalculiX, ...).

Hope these clarifications can help.

Bests,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

thank you for the quick reply and the clarifications.

I am indeed looking for a way to integrate Elme with Salomé.

So if I understand correctly, the solver has to be able to read and write MED format, which contains the input mesh and results like like time-dependent potentials, currents, temperatures etc.

I have just browsed the documentation and seen that there is a MED module. So this could be used somehow - but for additional input information like materials, boundary conditions, body forces, involved physics (e.g. thermal, electric, mechanic), and solver parameters, I would need a different module and file format - is there documentation about those you mention, and how would they interact with the MED module?

Is that the way the existing modules for Code-Aster and Code-Saturne are implemented?

Thanks for some additional information,

Matthias

I meant "Elmer" of course, but noticed the typo too late...

Matthias,

The MED module has AFAIK no GUI: it makes available a python interface in Salome to that advanced users can interact through python commands with data contained in a MED file (mesh, fields, node or element groups).

Regarding the additional input information like materials, boundary conditions, body forces, involved physics (e.g. thermal, electric, mechanic), and solver parameters, those are for instance managed for Code_Aster in an ASCII file that can either be written by hand :) or with EFICAS module from Salome. Another configuration of EFICAS module will allow you to write input deck for Code_Saturne for instance.

In EFICAS module, there are some features that allow you to select with your mouse through the GUI groups either in Salome object brower or directly in the 3D view so that their name is automatically retrieve and given to EFICAS module (for instance when you want to apply material property to a group of elements): these are really "advanced features" that do not necessarily worth the time you will spend to understand and implement required dictionaries for EFICAS for Elmer...

I thus do not recommend you to go directly to this level of complexity.

Again, the 1st step to integrate a solver in Salome has nearly nothing to do with Salome: it is 1st required to make the solver compatible with Salome by implementing (again, solver-side) the MED format.

Once you have done this, you will already be able to use Salome to pre/post process simulation results, and only if you feel it is important (because of a large user community for instance) you can try to go further and develop the appropriate EFICA dictionary (to manage the input deck) and solver module (to manage solver runs).

Bests,

Pierre

PS: AFAIK, Code_Aster module is being fully refactored to go one step further. There might be more news after Code_Aster user day in March.

Hmmm...

As of today, Elmer can read UNV format exported by the SMESH module, and it can write VTU format which is well suited for ParaView (which is the same as ParaVis AFAIK). So technically I can already use Salome for pre/postprocessing. Would it improve anything if I used the MED format instead?

The point of having a real solver "module" would be usability. It would be more comfortable to have all in one platform instead of switching between different programs and manually do several file exports and imports each time. Also part of the information about grouping is lost at each export/import process and has to be redefined. It would improve usability of the whole workflow to enter that information only once.

So if I understand correctly, it's more the "advanced features" of the EFICAS module I would need to look into. Do you know where I can find more information on that topic?

Thanks,

Matthias

Matthias,

When you say: "Also part of the information about grouping is lost at each export/import process and has to be redefined."

Implementing in Elmer ability to read/write MED file will solve this problem.

Regarding more information about EFICA, I am sorry, but I do not know how to advice you more.

Maybe you could try to download Salome_Meca which is embedding EFICAS for Code_Aster and from there look at the sources / configuration files to identify what makes it suited for Code_Aster / see if it can be configured for Elmer.

Bests,

Pierre

I see - I will try to find out more about MED and EFICAS (and maybe XDATA).

Thank you for the pointers!

Matthias

@Jorge: it seems that a Syrthes module for Salomé exists, see here: http://files.salome-platform.org/Salome/Common/SUD2012/03_JUS_20121120_SYRTHES_EDF_Isabelle_RUPP.pdf

It's in french, but there are some links on the last page.

Matthias