Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build More on the effective inability to build from sources

More on the effective inability to build from sources

Up to Install & build

More on the effective inability to build from sources

Posted by John Weiner at June 08. 2017

In my continuing efforts to build med-3.2.1 yesterday late in the day, I finally figured out that if one uses ./configure options such as ./configure --with hdf5-include=/usr/local/hdf5/include, then the configure script will look in the right place for missing header files or libraries or whatever it needs.  However, having fixed that problem, now the ./configure ends with yet another error because it is unhappy with the hdf5 version (too recent!).  So installed an older version of hdf5, and ./configure proceeded to the next error, it is unhappy with the Python version it finds.  Tracking down all these errors and trying to fix them seems to be the wrong path toward getting a working version of SALOME up and running.  And even if one could get a successful ./configure, the changes would have to be incorporated in the sat scripts.  I have no appetite to plunge into editing sat.

My conclusion is that the present SALOME build procedure and sat script simply can't do the job they are intended to do, and that maintaining a useful build process is beyond the scope of an ordinary SALOME would-be user.

So, unless some good Samaritan out there comes to the rescue, I am not going to devote further time to this unproductive pursuit.

Re: More on the effective inability to build from sources

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 08. 2017

Hello John,

Indeed building SALOME from sources is a challenge itself. At CEA and EDF, specific tools (like SAT or YAMM) are developed and used to achieve this, on specific supported platforms. For instance at EDF, only Debian 6 and 8 are supported.

I'm afraid Ubuntu 17.04 is a too recent distribution, not supported by the latest version of SALOME. You can find the supported prerequisites versions in the release note.

I suggest to try to solve the problem related to the graphic driver when using the universal libraries, or maybe use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS version.

Best regards,

Gilles

Re: More on the effective inability to build from sources

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 08. 2017

Sorry I meant EDF supported platforms are Debian 7 and 8 (not Debian 6).