Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build HOW TO BUILD SALOME ON UBUNTU 16.04 FROM BINARIES

HOW TO BUILD SALOME ON UBUNTU 16.04 FROM BINARIES

Up to Install & build

HOW TO BUILD SALOME ON UBUNTU 16.04 FROM BINARIES

Posted by NS at April 04. 2018

Hi there,

I want to build salome 8.4.0 or salome7.8.0 on ubuntu 16.04. I downloaded them both because I have been getting errors with Salome 8.4 and then, with SALOME 7.8.0.

I can access to salome with ./salome command and get the window. but if I want to compile the binaries, I always get errors. I have also installed dependencies  mentioned in UB16.04.txt file in SALOME 8.4.0.

During compilation of SALOME 8.4, it won't just install during compilation...the errors are usually with matplot lib or doxygen etc.

When I am compiling SALOME 7.8.0, I get error that SALOME_ROOT is missing in environ.sh

I need to build from binaries because I want to integrate DRAGON5 with SALOME. Otherwise, the module generator in YACSGEN don't run. I get error that MODULE_GENERATOR doesn't exist.

I have not been compiling these from ROOT of terminal...i.e. not from su. I don't know whether I must or not? In README file, they said $ROOT is current directory?

Need Help...my college project depends on this.

Re: HOW TO BUILD SALOME ON UBUNTU 16.04 FROM BINARIES

Posted by Fridrik Magnusson at April 10. 2018

I have the same problem, did you solve it ?

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at April 10. 2018

At which step do you have errors? Go into the extracted SALOME directory, then enter these commands:

./sat prepare SALOME-8.4.0

./sat compile SALOME-8.4.0

./sat environ SALOME-8.4.0

./sat launcher SALOME-8.4.0

Hi Christophe B.

I have just installed Ubuntu, so prob it is something easy to fix.

I get when run "./sat prepare SALOME8.4.0":

scipy:                   Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/scipy-0.14.1.patch

freetype:                Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/freetype-2.4.11_ft_export_FD20.patch

matplotlib:              Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/matplotlib_1_4_3_patch_freetype_detection_for_SAT.patch

Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/matplotlib-1.4.3_no_auto_download.patch

Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/matplotlib-1.4.3_fix_Cannot_connect_NavigationToolbar2QT.patch

gl2ps:                   Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/gl2ps-1.3.9p1.patch

freeimage:               Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/freeimage-3.16.0_gcc6.patch

metis:                   Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/metis-use_cat_not_more.patch

doxygen:                 Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/doxygen-1.8.3.1.patch

Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/doxygen_compatibility_flex260.patch

opencv:                  Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/opencv-2.4.6.1-gcc6.patch

netgen:                  Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/netgen-5.3.1-for-SALOME-OCCT-7.2.0.patch

BLSURFPLUGIN:            Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/BLSURFPLUGIN_8_4_0.patch

YACS:                    Apply patch /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/patches/yacs_cea_v2.patch

and i get an error in "./sat compile SALOME-8.4.0"

Compilation: KO (68/79)

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at April 10. 2018

For the first product in compilation error, you can check in the LOGS directory its compilation log to see where the error comes from.

Usually, it is because an included file is missing in the system. So use apt-file search to search in which package this file belongs. Then apt-get install the missing package.

Then launch again the compilation of the product, for instance:

./sat compile SALOME-8.4.0 --stop_first_fail -p sip

all-right, i need a bit more specific information.

From "./sat compile SALOME-8.4.0" i get:

Executing the compile commands in the build directories of the products of the application SALOME-8.4.0

SOURCE directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../SOURCES

BUILD directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../BUILD

Compilation of Python ........................ SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Python.sh

Compilation of Python ........................                                                            Compilation of Python ........................ OK                       

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/Python

Compilation of libxml2 ....................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../Compilation of libxml2 .......................                                                            Compilation of libxml2 ....................... OK                              

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/libxml2

Compilation of boost ......................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/boost.sh

Compilation of boost .........................                                                                                            Compilation of boost ......................... KO

Compilation of omniORB ....................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of omniORB .......................                                                                                            Compilation of omniORB ....................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/omniORB

Compilation of omniORBpy ..................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of omniORBpy .....................                                                                                            Compilation of omniORBpy ..................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/omniORBpy

Compilation of pyparsing ..................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of pyparsing .....................                                                                                            Compilation of pyparsing ..................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/pyparsing

Compilation of pytz .......................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of pytz ..........................                                                                                            Compilation of pytz .......................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/pytz

Compilation of distribute .................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of distribute ....................                                                                                            Compilation of distribute .................... KO

Compilation of six ........................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of six ...........................                                                                                            Compilation of six ........................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/six

Compilation of setuptools .................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of setuptools ....................                                                                                            Compilation of setuptools .................... KO

Compilation of Pygments ...................... ERROR : the following product(s) is(are) mandatory: setuptools

Compilation of docutils ...................... ERROR : the following product(s) is(are) mandatory: setuptools

Compilation of dateutil ...................... ERROR : the following product(s) is(are) mandatory: setuptools

Compilation of markupsafe .................... ERROR : the following product(s) is(are) mandatory: setuptools

Compilation of Jinja2 ........................ ERROR : the following product(s) is(are) mandatory: setuptools markupsafe

Compilation of pyreadline .................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of pyreadline ....................                                                                                            Compilation of pyreadline .................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/pyreadline

Compilation of numpy ......................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of numpy .........................                                                                                            Compilation of numpy ......................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/numpy

Compilation of Cython ........................ SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of Cython ........................                                                                                            Compilation of Cython ........................ OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/Cython

Compilation of cmake ......................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of cmake .........................                                                                                            Compilation of cmake ......................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/cmake

Compilation of metis ......................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of metis .........................                                                                                            Compilation of metis ......................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/metis

Compilation of hdf5 .......................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of hdf5 ..........................                                                                                            Compilation of hdf5 .......................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/hdf5

Compilation of cgns .......................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of cgns ..........................                                                                                            Compilation of cgns .......................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/cgns

Compilation of med ........................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of med ...........................                                                                                            Compilation of med ........................... OK

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/med

Compilation of gl2ps ......................... OK                           

INSTALL directory = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/gl2ps

Compilation of lapack ........................ SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of lapack ........................                                                                                            Compilation of lapack ........................ KO

Compilation of scipy ......................... ERROR : the following product(s) is(are) mandatory: lapack

Compilation of freetype ...................... SCRIPT /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/Compilation of freetype ......................                                                                                            Compilation of freetype ...................... OK

ect....

I guess the boost has a problem right, but with what package ?

I have attached the /LOGS/boost/script

Attachments

Posted by Roman NIKOLAEV at April 10. 2018

Hello  Fridrik,

According to the attached log file it seems that libbz2-dev package is not installed on your UBUNTU 16.04 machine.

Also please make sure that all packages listed in the ub16.4_dep_sys_rpms.txt file are installed on your workstation.

Regards,

Roman.

Thanks Roman, hopefully this will work, how can you see that the libbz2-dev is missing ?

Is there a fancy way of installing all of ub16.4_dep_sys_rpms.txt in one go, or is it just one by one ?

See log file fatal error: bzlib.h: No such file or directory

So you need a package to which this file belongs: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=xenial&arch=any&searchon=contents&keywords=bzlib.h

I think that here is no simple command which can parse a file and install packages, but you can use a set of commands to parse file and install missing packages or  install packages one by one.

I installed them all one by one, a tedious task but the boost is giving an OK now :D success !

but the compilation of distribute is failing as well :( and i guess that it is something with:

from the log fil:

"RuntimeError: Compression requires the (missing) zlib module"

Attachments

It seems that zlib1g package was missed at the moment of the python's compilation, so python installation doesn't contain zlib module. So now you have to:

1) Check that zlib1g is installed.

2) Re-build python and all python-dependent prerequisites (I recommend you to start build from scratch)

Thanks, you sure know alot about these things.

I have removed the Salome folder, reetracted the folder, and run the commands:

./sat prepare SALOME-8.4.0

./sat compile SALOME-8.4.0

and return as soon there is results:)

Diden't work :( got the same issue, even checked that zlib1g package is installed. Got the same error in Distribute:

"RuntimeError: Compression requires the (missing) zlib module"

Maybe i diden't start from scratch, how would i do that other than delete the directory?

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at April 11. 2018

You need zlib.h which is in zlib1g-dev:

apt-get install zlib1g-dev

Posted by Fridrik Magnusson at April 11. 2018

Allright - i have removed the folder once more:

sudo rm -rf /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC

Extracted the folder:

sudo tar -xvf SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC.tgz

installed the zlib1g-dev:

sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev

Prepaired salome with

sudo ./sat prepare SALOME-8.4.0

Compiled salome with

sudo ./sat compile SALOME-8.4.0

The apt-get install solved the problems with distribute but yet again an error has occurred with lapack

LOGS of lapack

build_dir   = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../BUILD/lapack
  install_dir = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/lapack

>   Run build script /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/lapack.sh

##########################################################################
lapack 3.5.0

*** cmake /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../SOURCES/lapack -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/lapack -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-fPIC -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS=-fPIC
-- The Fortran compiler identification is unknown
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (project):
  No CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER could be found.

Tell CMake where to find the compiler by setting either the environment
  variable "FC" or the CMake cache entry CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER to the full
  path to the compiler, or to the compiler name if it is in the PATH.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/BUILD/lapack/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/BUILD/lapack/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
ERROR on cmake

A new error with CAS that i have no clue how to fix :( - i think the issue is something with:

[ 40%] Building CXX object src/TKBO/CMakeFiles/TKBO.dir/__/IntTools/IntTools_Range.cxx.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXmu
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXi
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
src/TKService/CMakeFiles/TKService.dir/build.make:704: recipe for target 'lin64/gcc/lib/libTKService.so.7.2.0' failed
make[2]: *** [lin64/gcc/lib/libTKService.so.7.2.0] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1193: recipe for target 'src/TKService/CMakeFiles/TKService.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/TKService/CMakeFiles/TKService.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 40%] Building CXX object src/TKBO/CMakeFiles/TKBO.dir/__/IntTools/IntTools_Root.cxx.o
[ 40%] Building CXX object src/TKBO/CMakeFiles/TKBO.dir/__/IntTools

I have attached the whole log file

hopefully these are the last two compiling errors

Attachments

Posted by Roman NIKOLAEV at April 11. 2018

Hello  Fridrik,

First error (lapack): fortran compiler is not installed.

Second error: install libxmu-dev and libxi-dev pakages.

Regards,

Roman

Hi Roman, thanks :) I installed the packages as you told me to:) How do you know that those dependencies are needed ? it's not in the ub16.4_dep_sys_rpms.txt file ?

And can i install the fortran compiler, and which one should i choose ?

ub16.4_dep_sys_rpms.txt contains the list of packages which are required for the execution of the pre-compiled binaries.

SALOME depends on more then 30 third-party prerequisites and it is very difficult to list all packages which are required for compilation all these libraries. 

> How do you know that those dependencies are needed ?

This depend on concrete case:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXmu
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXi

-lXmu = libXmu.so (https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=xenial&section=all&arch=any&keywords=libXmu.so&searchon=contents)

-lXi = libXi.so (https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=xenial&section=all&arch=any&keywords=libXi.so&searchon=contents)

And can i install the fortran compiler, and which one should i choose ?

Install gfortran package.

lapack and CAS is compiled - im closing in on Salome:D. but netgen failed, i have tryed to install:

sudo apt-get install automake

since the log is:

build_dir   = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../BUILD/netgen
  install_dir = /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../INSTALL/netgen

>   Run build script /usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/netgen_5_3_1.sh

netgen 5.3.1_with_CAS_7.2

*** manual call of the aclocal, libtoolize, autoconf and automake in order to re-generate configure script and Makefiles
/usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/salomeTools/../PROJECT/products/compil_scripts/netgen_5_3_1.sh: line 13: aclocal: command not found
error on manual call to aclocal

and with a quick search on google, it seems to be part of automake, but im not sure, how can i be sure ?

Yes aclocal is a part of automake package.

Are /usr/bin/aclocal* files presented on your computer?

netgen succeded :D and i was able to find: "-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  36792 Mar 30  2016 aclocal-1.15*"

which i guess is the /usr/bin/aclocal* you asked for :D

GEOM failed, but can't see what is wrong :(

ImportError: No module named salome.AdvancedGEOM
doc/salome/gui/GEOM/CMakeFiles/usr_docs.dir/build.make:57: recipe for target 'doc/salome/gui/GEOM/CMakeFiles/usr_docs' failed
make[4]: *** [doc/salome/gui/GEOM/CMakeFiles/usr_docs] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:6571: recipe for target 'doc/salome/gui/GEOM/CMakeFiles/usr_docs.dir/all' failed
make[3]: *** [doc/salome/gui/GEOM/CMakeFiles/usr_docs.dir/all] Error 2
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:6578: recipe for target 'doc/salome/gui/GEOM/CMakeFiles/usr_docs.dir/rule' failed
make[2]: *** [doc/salome/gui/GEOM/CMakeFiles/usr_docs.dir/rule] Error 2
Makefile:1772: recipe for target 'usr_docs' failed
make[1]: *** [usr_docs] Error 2
CMake Error at doc/salome/gui/GEOM/cmake_install.cmake:52 (file):
  file INSTALL cannot find
  "/usr/salome/SALOME-8.4.0-UB16.04-SRC/BUILD/GEOM/doc/salome/gui/GEOM/GEOM".
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  doc/salome/gui/cmake_install.cmake:37 (include)
  doc/salome/cmake_install.cmake:38 (include)
  doc/cmake_install.cmake:37 (include)
  cmake_install.cmake:76 (include)

Makefile:71: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

Attachments

Posted by NS at April 21. 2018
Thanks for the information. I checked the forum late. I got errors in compilation step. I installed all the packages listed in ubuntu text file of salome

. Still, I got the error. I didn't check logs file back then :( Now. I will try installing again...